Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Xp - How Hard Can This Be?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BabyGirl720

BabyGirl720

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

I was told to, boot from CD, pick the drive © and press D for delete. And nothing happened. There was only a few options like Repair (which I ended up doing) and quit and. Then after I were to press D for delete I was suppose to press C to create a new one? Well I never got that far so I guess I am missing something. Can anyone fill me in here? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Close, but not quite.

Using the CD, on the first screen press the <Enter> key.

The setup program will search for previously installed versions of Windows. Once it does, it will ask you if you want to Repair or do a fresh install

(you may be presented at some point with the End-User License Agreement, press F8 to accept).

Press <Enter> again to do a fresh install.

It will then take you to the partition selection/creation/deletion screen. Most likely, there will be one big partiton and one that's only 8MB.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the big one (probably labelled "Windows XP Home Edition" or something like it.

NOW you press "D" to delete the partition.

This will lead you to a confirmation screen, press "L" to confirm the deletion.

Now you're back at the Partition creation screen. Make sure the "Unallocated Space" is selected and press <Enter>. Now choose a file system. I'd choose NTFS. There are two options for NTFS, Fast and slow:
  • Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
  • Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
  • Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
  • Format the partition by using the FAT file system
If you're interested in doing a thorough reformat, choose the slow (bullet 3) option. If all you want to do is do a quick reformat, then choose option 1.

Once the reformat is complete, you can press F3 to abort the rest of the installation, or allow it to continue installing Windows.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 27 February 2007 - 02:41 PM.

#3 BabyGirl720

BabyGirl720
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thank you! I will try that immediately! *Crosses fingers*

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman