Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Make My Dvd-rw Drive Work In Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phrex

Phrex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

I have a Dell XPS Gen2 notebook with Windows Media Center and my DVD drive is an NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A. My computer won't boot except in safe mode and I can't figure out the problem, so I am considering reinstalling Windows. But I need to back-up my files first. The problem is, my DVD-RW drive isn't accessible in safe mode. Does anyone know how to make it useable in safe mode so I can back up my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

What happens if you try to start up windows normally?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

I get these vertical dotted streaks of discoloration on the screen at the dell load screen as well as the windows logo screen. Then the screen gets random patterns of discoloration all over, turns entirely black, and won't boot. At this point, if I have /SAFEBOOT enabled, the computer boots to safe mode. I have already tried disabling my video card in the device manager and have the same issues. I also tried using Diagnostic Startup via msconfig and had the same issues.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

Can you connect a monitor to the notebook?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

You mean to check if my monitor could be the problem? My screen looks perfect in safe mode. No streaks at all, so I think that means my monitor is working fine.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

I would of thought that in safe mode your screen would of reverted to a basic display driver thus the screen would show 16/256 colours - mine does when I boot into safe mode. Oh well.

Anyhow, perhaps your display driver is corrupt and thats why you're experiencing odd discolouration and weird patterns.

Visit your notebook/laptop's manufacturer's website and seek a driver.

Edited by FireKracker, 27 February 2007 - 04:28 PM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

But I need to back-up my files first. The problem is, my DVD-RW drive isn't accessible in safe mode. Does anyone know how to make it useable in safe mode so I can back up my files?

Try this is Safe Mode. I think it'll work. I think you have to remember to check import last session (or something like that) in the options if you need a multi-session burn.

SilentNight Micro CD/DVD Burner

This is a standalone CD/DVD/ISO/AUDIO burner, and ISO creator that is quite easy to use, and it fits on a single floppy disk. No installation is needed, and you can even run it directly from a floppy disk. It also has a powerfull search tool buildt in.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Silent...o_CD_Burner.htm

I didn't have a dvd-rw to practice with, but the application opened just fine in Safe Mode for me and seemed ok. You may also have to adjust your monitor display in order to see it all easily. I did that using the button on my monitor to shrink it a bit.

#8 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

Thanks alot Mommabear! That's exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate the help :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Oops. Maybe you read more on it and didn't mess with the floppy. I forgot to mention that I just put it in My Documents and ran it from there in Safe Mode.

#10 forkart

forkart

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:34 AM

You can use magiciso to backup file as iso files and burn iso file to cd and dvd.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users