Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts, Crashes And Hangs... What Is Going On?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 glyxe

glyxe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I need help pretty desperately, my computer has surpassed my level of knowledge in what its doing lately.

I'm usually not too bad at sorting my computer out and can usually manage to deal with the problem, but recently it has been acting all strange. I'm afraid I've got more than one problem and I'm not entirely sure what they are.

Help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

The problem started after I got a new monitor (GNR TS902W) and portable hard drive (WDXMS1200) for my birthday. In my excitement plugged them both straight in and after installing them they seemed to work fine.
I say fine, but the monitor would turn on for about 10 seconds and then turn off, even though the LED was lit. I spent ages unplugging and plugging it in, turning it on and off, and notice that there was an image on the screen when it was on, it was just as if the backlight wasn't working properly. After more tinkering, the monitor turned on, and stayed on... a process I repeat every time I turn my computer on or take it off stand-by.
I think the problem is either that the backlight needs time to warm up, or there is some underlying error with the drivers and the installation.

That said, the new screen and hard drive combination inspired me to update the drivers and other related software, for the rest of the PC. I keep my system fairly up-to-date anyway, so I figured it wouldn't take long to update certain areas that get neglected.
These updates included the microsoft recommended updates, windows media player 10,windows defender and driver updates for my graphics card, sound card and network card.
I think that might be everything I did but I can't remember exactly as this all started on the 12th Feb.

Somewhere in between me doing all of this, and me trying to fix the problems that I have yet to explain, my PC has ended up in its current state.

Along with the monitor problem, it has been doing the following:

-> It resets itself often and does this at seemingly random times. I've think I've noticed that this occurs when the computer is executing a task (such as downloading stuff, saving work, etc.) but I'm not entirely sure.

->I'm guessing the same error is also causing the BSOD to show its ugly face, but the error specified varies.

->The most recent addition to these is that it has begun to hang, and beaten these three, it makes it difficult for me to do any work.

As I said, I'm not sure if the errors are caused by hardware or software. I was thinking maybe this could be cause by problems with the RAM or the CPU.
This led me to believe that a virus of some sort was using all the memory and processing power thus overloading the system when trying to do a meaningful task. However, I'm not sure if that is possible, it's plain speculation, spurred on by AVG saying a word document I had written myself had a virus but then re-scan said that it wasn't. :S

There was also an error box that popped up in windows at start-up for a while, but rolling back the graphics card driver took care of that.
It said: DEVS:Shell: Calling get root key before nview.dll is loaded

Well, that is probably everything I can tell you about my problem, I hope someone can help.

Here's some info that might be useful:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:02:55, on 27/02/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAAE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msnmsgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\My Documents\My Programs\Utils\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wtRAMDAC] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wtRAMDAC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFast2KLoadDefault] rundll32.exe wf2kcpl.dll,DllLoadDefaultSettings
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus D68 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAAE.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus D68 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus D68"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Use as &Display Picture - C:\Program Files\IEDP2\IEDP.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Imapi Helper - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (read only) (InCDsrvR) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

I've also done a Belarc Advisor scan, which I can email along with error information from Event Viewer.

If you can't help, no worries.... but if you can, please do, I'm at the end my tether and need to use my PC for university.

Thanks again.

Edited by glyxe, 27 February 2007 - 01:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi and welcome to BC.

I cannot see anything in the log to indicate malware, sounds more like hardware/software/compatibility issues. This is a forum dedicated to clean malware (viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, adware, etc.) and you would get better help at the appropriate forums. They are more qualified in those matters.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/

:thumbsup:

Edited by amateur, 01 March 2007 - 09:08 AM.

#3 glyxe

glyxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks... that's 1 possibility crossed off the list.

#4 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

#5 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

Since your problem appears to be resolved, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please PM me with the address of the thread, and we will reopen it for you. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users