Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sydman1673

sydman1673

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

How do you reconfigure your computer to use the ethernet port it came with to access the internet if your network card stops working and it cannot be replaced immediately. the computers in the lab were networked but they are not anymore. We can still access the internet using the cards which is RhineIII fast ethernet adapter on the computers. Recently we cannot acces the internet anymore but the light on the back is wrking but it is saying network cable unplugged. The modem is working well.
Education is a life long experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

How do you reconfigure your computer to use the ethernet port it came with to access the internet if your network card stops working and it cannot be replaced immediately. the computers in the lab were networked but they are not anymore. We can still access the internet using the cards which is RhineIII fast ethernet adapter on the computers. Recently we cannot acces the internet anymore but the light on the back is wrking but it is saying network cable unplugged. The modem is working well.

99% of the connectivity issues are on the physical layer...that means... check the cable, change it with a new one.
Remove and reinstall the NIC, if you cannot physically remove it, uninstall it from the device manager, reboot and reinstall with the correct drivers.

#3 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

I did remove it but now I have another problem. I dont have the driver to reinstall it. I see fond new hardware and when I try to install it, it is asking for the driver for the ethernet controller.
help needed!!!!

#4 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

I did remove it but now I have another problem. I dont have the driver to reinstall it. I see fond new hardware and when I try to install it, it is asking for the driver for the ethernet controller.
help needed!!!!

OK... the drivers are usually on the install disk that comes with the PC.
In case you do not have that, get the make and model # of the PC, go to the Manufacturer site and download the driver for the NIC from there.

These are usually self extracing files and you can install the driver from there, reboot and see what happens, after the install, you should be able to get the NIC to a working state again... to test do a ping in the command prompt foe 127.0.0.1(Loopback) this will confirm that the TCP/IP stack is clean and that the NIC is working... after that if you still are not able to connect, check the gateway, DNS settings and the workgroup settings....

Let us know ..

#5 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

I replaced the NIC and it worked thanks but I tried removing this program called registry helper and the computer was not responding so I turned off the computer. Now I am getting a boot failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users