Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Anti-virus Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

I have done a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

for the last few months I have had AVG Antivirus (free version) installed on my PC as I had been having compatibility problems between Avast and my Comodo Firewall. When it was first installed it would tell me it had checked approx 250,000 files/items every morning after finishing it's daily scheduled check. This was a similar amount to Avast. The last 2-3 weeks however it will check between 80-109,000 files. I opened up the box marked "Scan Selected Areas" and found that the only box ticked was the one at the bottom saying "Other Settings" and a sub box was ticked here saying"Scan System Areas before the test starts". Just as a test I put a tick in all the boxes on this screen and did a test. Result of this selected areas scan was that AVG checked 271,560 files as opposed to the 89,937 files checked on this mornings Complete test Scheduled scan.

I'm not sure why AVG doesn't check the complete PC as it did before and possibly this is how it is supposed to operate but can anyone point me to a tutorial or such like for AVG Antivirus similar to the one found on this site for Avast.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

If you want everything scanned, then click on "Scan Computer" at the top; if you want only one drive, or selected folders scanned, then click on "Scan Selected Areas." Using the latter, you can select (or deselect) folders to scan by opening the appropriate drive.
For example, I have two drives on my computer. I do not scan, normally, the D: drive, since this contains data transfered from my C: drive and thus already scanned. I use "selected areas" to skip the D: drive and thus save time.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users