Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rom Not Reading Dvds, And Cd-rw No Opening....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop 5000 series computer, 5012US to be exact, and I believe it came with a DVD-Rom preinstalled, I don't remember exactly, I was 11 years old when My dad bought it. Having quite a few restores with it, it seems to have lost the driver for the DVD player and the CDRW. I right click on My Computer on the desktop, and go to device manager and open the CDs, and it shows
"Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-115" and right below it
"IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32"

I can use the DVD-Rom to play music cds, and Some program cds, but no home made file cds. I clicked on the DVD-115 and clicked properties, then went to driver, and clicked on update driver, but it says that C:\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF is the driver, which I think is the default CDrom driver.

My cd-Rw will not open, either if I push the open button manually, or right click on F:/ and click on Eject.

How do I update, or install a DVD-Rom Driver, and fix the CD-RW that doesnt open?

Thanks A million in Advance.

-JoshT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

Go into the control panel, double click on "System" then click on the hardware tab. Find the DVD/CD drive on the list, right click on it and select uninstall. Restart your system, then allow Windows to connect to the internet to find the drivers (if it asks). It may just install them via Windows which is fine.

See if this helps.....if not, let us know and I'll try to find some drivers for you and perhaps a firmware update :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

Okay, I just removed it, I'ma restart now.

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

Sorry for the double post but, I found a POWERDVD Cd, I had for another Dvd player, and I think it installed a driver for it, and it worked.

-Jsoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users