Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Anything About Iconix - Freeware Pgm?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucliz

lucliz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

While researching a recent Paypal e-mail, I came across "Iconix" freeware -program to identify fake e-mail. I am tempted to download the program, but... I'm scared! Don't want to add insult to injury! Anyone have any experience with this program?
Thanks
lucliz
If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

I can't tell you about the effectiveness of the program, but according to SiteAdvisor, the program is safe to download.
No adware, spyware, and other unwanted programs.
SiteAdvisor report on Iconix

If you want to try it out, I suggest you download it from the developer's website:
Iconix

If you do try it, we would appreciate any feedback you may have on the program.
Effectiveness, ease of use, ........?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lucliz

lucliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the information - I will report back after download and testing!
If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

You're welcome, lucliz.
If it turns out to be a program you like, and it works as advertised, please make a post to the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, so it can be considered for inclusion into the list.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Although tg1911 has satisfied your question, I would like to make a few suggestions and comments.

No#1. It's hard to trick you into clicking on links within your emails to click on links that are spoofed, if you're cautious of what you click on.

No#2. No program can protect you from manipulations like fake emails... only common sense will help protect you.

No#3. NEVER click on any link from within your email account, especially from a so-called source that requires your username/password.. You simply copy the link, paste it in Notepad or such, and then you copy/paste from there into the link you want to go to.

No#4. Know who you're dealing with. A single character will make you think you're clicking on the legitimate thing, when in fact you're not.

No#5.
Don't give out your real email address to everyone. You decide who everyone is.

No#6.
The oldest trick in the book, if you have any Hotmail accounts, Don't EVER click on any links from within the emails because once you do, you may be giving your Hotmail account access to the culprits.. It's an old scam, and it works. NEVER click on links from within your emails...... take a few seconds and copy/paste that link into Notepad or such and verify the link.

Although softwares are good (depending on what they are, and what they are suppose to do)... you don't need them. All it takes is common sense. That's all.
====================================================================

I've gotten an email supposedly from PayPal, but I found out it wasn't PayPal that sent the email. I still have it to this day, because I have a team of spam examiners that I'm a part of that help put an end to people like those that sent me the email. If I wasn't well informed of the tricks of the email spoofs, I would have been taken for the long haul.

Personally.... what I think........., if the software is for you to identify if you have any bogus PayPal emails or not before you click on the link, it's just a matter of time and you will be gotten. I'd put my money on the fact that you would. Don't depend on software for something like that. It's almost like saying that you can't distinguish between a legitimate source or not concerning your own money.

If you have monies going into your PayPal account, and going out of your PayPal account, there is no magic trick, nor help to help you sort out the culprits...... It's all common sense.

I, personally believe you will make the gravest mistake by depending on any software to help you distinguish if the email you have is indeed from PayPal or not. Someone will find a way around it.

I'd be glad to post my fake PayPal email here, and let anyone see if they can spot the bogus signs..... It's all in how serious you are in protecting your investment.

But.... if you use any softwares, just post if they help you or not,,,, which I don't see the problem happening to you again for quite a long time if you didn't click on any links in your emails.

They usually strike one, especially if you don't reply to the email. But you decide.

I have been in contact with PayPal for a few years now, because of this known issue, and I've advised them them to have an area in the PayPal account that will allow people to see if PayPal have sent them any emails, and the dates they sent them. I'm still working with them on it, and it's a needed feature.

Now,, all you have to do is open a browser window, go to your PayPal account, and see from your account if they sent you any emails or not...... and even the ones you haven't responded to (not unless you're into some illegal stuff). But everyone responds to PayPal emails... except, your account you used is no longer valid, you're locked away, you're sick or such, no internet access, or simply,,, you've passed away.

Since PayPal deals with your money, and your bank account(s) or such.... I wouldn't depend on any software to be my main source of thwarting off crooks.

Your best defense is common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users