Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Query ~ Instructions For Hijack This Log ~ Query

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

...ookie crumbs?

Point 3. Clear out your temporary internet files and temp files.

What does this mean, is it....

Get rid of them?

Clean them of stuff?

What if there are things that i want to keep in these files, should i move them to a more permanant place?

orrrr, is this just a consequence i gotta put up with. Ok, so i lose lots of stuff i've saved (if there is lots, dont often check) but my computer will be clean and safe?

If there is something REALLY important in the temp file and clear means get rid of, is there a way of salvaging the contents that arnt bad?

Edited by jgweed, 27 February 2007 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

You should not have any files that you want to permanently save in Temporary Files. I have included directions for cleaning IE.
These instructions explain how to delete Temporary Internet Files. Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) uses the Temporary Internet Files feature to store copies of Web content on the local hard drive. This feature improves network performance but can fill the hard drive with large amounts of unwanted data. IE allows many aspects of the Temporary Internet Files feature to be controlled, including the ability to delete temporary files as needed.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: < 1 minute
Here's How:

1. Open either Microsoft Internet Explorer or the Windows Control Panel.

2. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, open the Tools menu and choose the Internet Options... menu. In Control Panel. open the Internet Options list item. In either case, a new window titled "Internet Properties" appears.

3. In the Temporary Internet Files section of the Internet Properties window, click the "Delete Files..." button. A new "Delete Files" window appears.

4. In the "Delete Files" window, optionally check the "Delete all offline content" checkbox to also remove temporary files IE has saved for offline viewing. Click OK. A delay of up to several minutes may occur as IE proceeds to delete the temporary files it has cached. If the "Delete all offline content" checkbox is not checked, IE will not delete temporary files associated with offline content; otherwise, all temporary files will be deleted.

5. Click OK to close the Internet Options window.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hummm, thats really cool CHEERS buddy215 :flowers:

so, i wont of "STOOOOpidly" saved anything i really wana keep on the temp files and temp internet files then? its not like linked to my "favourites" or anything like that?

Thanks for replying btw, its sooo tempting for me (moyderer as i am) to reply to myself he hehe :trumpet:

NICE ONE nn23 :thumbsup:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

Double check the names of the files in the temp. folder. If there is anything you want or need to keep, move it to a permanent location. Then empty the temp. folder. I clear mine on a near daily basis.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

WOW daily basis? i was never even aware! RIGHT gona do that from now on then! :flowers:

NICE ONE! :thumbsup:

oh yeah...and what about my "favourites" thingy, i've got some really important sites saved in there is that related to temp files in any way? :trumpet:

Edited by nn23, 27 February 2007 - 05:03 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

Favorites are saved in a separate location, not your temp. files. I'm not clear on exactly where they are stored as 1) I don't use the favorite feature on IE and 2) I rarely use IE. In Firefox, they are called bookmarks and are saved in the user's profile.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

COOLus maximus Cheers Blossom :thumbsup:

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:31 PM

Another way to clean up files is by using the Windows Disk Cleanup utiltily (Start/ Programs/Accessories/SystemTools/Disk Cleanup). After selecting the appropriate drive, then check the following boxes:
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary files
Temporary PC Health files
Then click OK.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

THANKS jgweed,

I really am so pleased with all that i'm learning here its great. I'm gona send a series of bulitins out to my friends in myspace telling them to sign up and for those who dont warn them of all the stuff that actually gets missed if they dont stay on the ball.

So many of them, just think their computers "slow". When its not that at all, i wreckon theres a strong corolation between this problem and myspace, even if it was the scanner glitch that brought it to my attention. m hm :flowers:

Anyways Thanks again NICE ONE!!! :thumbsup: nn23

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users