Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website Url

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pogey

pogey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

]Hi all, I have build my own website and now i want it to go live on my isp free space, ntlworld.com.
I want to use my own url, 'tag-print.ntlworld.com' or a similar domain name i can buy. My problem is everything i upload to my free space is to 'homepage.ntlworld.com' How can i change this or what do i do to allow 'tag-print.ntlworld.com' to be my website url. Many thanks, Gerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

Most likely, you need to own the domain in order to add subdomains to it. You can buy your own domain and have it forward to your homepage on ntlworld.com though. That's all I can think of for options at the moment.

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

if you need a free subdomain with dns feature you can try http://www.afraid.org or uni.cc.

most of the isp's give you very limited featured hosting. there are many other free hosting providers who give you almost every paid hosting facility for free. try to find a free hosting for yourself at free hosting world

jb

Edited by jbravo, 15 March 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

If you have the effort to want to do so, you can buy a domain name about $6 if you're getting a .com, .org, .net,, and a few others extension names. Now you have the domain name for 365 days.

After you buy your domain name, ask your isp for a dedicated ip address.. normally it's around $5 month added to your isp account bill. Now that you have your dedicated isp address, all you would need to do on your end is setup a server, which is easy to do, then you can have your web site, actually being hosted on your hard drive, and the whole world can see it.

Now that you've done that, you not only save on server fees and hosting company fees, you can expand as much as your computer has the space to do so.

If you don't have issues like, paying your electric, paying your isp bills, and maintaining your computer, you can save yourself a lot of money, and a lot of headaches too. It's not bad if you have a remote hosting company, but it's even better when you can host your own self. You do everything....... and I mean everything.. yourself. Don't let that scare you, if you have a learning and wanting to learn ability, you'll setup a server in no time, and serve it to the whole world, and never pay any hosting costs ever again. That's money saved, and knowledge learned.

I don't even know what computer you have, but if you took the time to set it up (about an or or so, for new users to it), all software.... you can serve up your own site in a few days or so, coming from your hard drive.

If you want to go with something besides you doing it yourself, then you'll want a dedicated server. And you don't want a shared server, and (or) a FREE one either, because either they'll add their own names to the address, and (or) they'll place banners and such on your site,.... and (or) they'll restrict you as to what you can install and run on the server.

And if you setup your own sever, you can have as many domains, sub-domains, or any other internet capabilities you want or need, like hosting people if you wanted to.... and much, much more.

In other words,,, when you have a remote server, you don't know if it's actually in a person's basement or what. There isn't a way to tell, not unless you personally went to the location of the hosting company. But again, there's nothing wrong with having a remote server (a hosting company).

And last but not least, if you go with any hosting company, YOU ARE BEING WARNED RIGHT NOW, that you should, and better check the ip address they plan on giving you. And when you get that ip address, you need to do a check and make sure that ip address isn't on a banned/blocked ip list. There are many sources to verify banned ip's, but the easiest way would be to use PeerGuardian 2, then navigate to that ip address browser, and if it's on a banned ip list, PeerGuardian 2 will show the warning. Currently mine is blocking over 2.9 billion ip addresses from connecting to my computer, which would mean that if your site is hosted on a banned ip address, you'll never get any real traffic anyway to that site. So check out the ip address they give you. They know that most people don't look at it like I'm explaining it, and they'll pawn off those bad ip addresses on you in a minute.

And then..... you can save your monthly dedicated ip address charges by using Tor:
http://tor.eff.org/

All of this is definitely something worth looking into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users