Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oward

Oward

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:18 PM

I currently have my home computer hooked up to the Internet via a able modem. Can you recommend a good inexpensive firewall that I can install on my home computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

A lot of people like Zonealarm by Zone Labs. They have a free version of their commercial software firewall that will protect your computer very well.

You can download it for free at Zone Alarm

#3 12g

12g

• Members
  • 450 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:28 AM

A lot of people like Zonealarm by Zone Labs. They have a free version of their commercial software firewall that will protect your computer very well.

You can download it for free at Zone Alarm

I agree with this recommendation, I have been running ZA for a long time now with no issues.

Regards

#4 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Black Ice is my favorite. It has a lot more options and features than most of the software firewalls I've seen. Another ? though. Do you have any open ports or anything. cause with just a router with no open ports is more than enough security for most people

#5 CalamityKen

CalamityKen

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:51 PM

A router is very cheap now and it does not use any of your system resources when protecting you. I use a SMC 7004VBR and had it for 18 months with no problems. This is good inbound protection.

For outbound protection: (preventing wayward applications connecting to the Internet)
ZoneAlarm free is very good I hear but has no ability for configuration. The pay versions have configurablility.

I have used Kerio (now V2.1.5) for 4 years and it has been very reliable.

#6 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

I agree router based firewalls are nice as they take up no system resources, but do not provide any application protection.

I personally use BlackIce. I love the IDS features and ease of use. For those who want a free firewall, zonelabs zonealarm free is definitely the best choice. You are right though, that you can not configure it at all to open ports or for other advanced features.

But if you want something cheap, as in free, its definitely the best.

#7 jongleur

jongleur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

Kerio is great. I've used it on my XP box for awhile myself. On linux I just use the SuSE2 firewall. It's real nice. Been trying to get the time to find out about this SELinux.

I've never used a router. I'm gonna have to learn more about this now. :thumbsup:

jon

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:07 PM

You may also take a look at (freeware) Sygate Personal Firewall, which has a few more features than does ZoneAlarm. I like it's logs and backtrace/whois functionality.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 DaHen

DaHen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

I found that Sygate (freebe) is easier to configure than ZoneAlarm.

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:52 PM

You should look into getting one. I just purchased one, a D-Link DI-604. Even though I only have one computer hooked into it, I will be adding more components soon (laptop, PS2, X-Box, ect). I was not aware that this particular router (I'm sure other do to), will actually speed up your cable connection. I theorize that there is a booster internally, so that more bandwidth can be used for different switches. If only one is being used, then it gets full stream. I noticed it was faster by not only seeing pages loading in under 2 seconds, but also in my Task Manager (which I use for troubleshooting, as needed), on the network tab, it shows 100 Mbps, whereas before it would be 10 Mbps.

I paid $29.99 plus a $25 mail in rebate, so final price will be under $10. It was an error on Best Buy's part. You should be able to get one for around $50, cheaper if you shop around and want to wait for the store to have rebate deals.

One thing I would suggest. Unless you are going to have more then 2 laptop computers hooked up, I would stay away from the wireless ones. Sure, they are convenient, but they are usually higher priced.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users