Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:33 AM

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but i was just wondering about security and Outlook.

If i have lots of emails being downloaded to my computer by Outlook, then if these have a virus or spyware attached to them, then would i be infected seeing as outlook has just downloaded the emails to my Hard Drive instead of off the Email companies server????

Or have i completely got that all wrong, just learning, still.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

Never open any attachment if you don't know who its from. All your emails with or without attachments are saved in *.dbx files. Therefore they can't do any damage there. You could save all your attachments to a folder then just scan that folder for virus's. Never open any until you've scanned. :thumbsup:

then would i be infected seeing as outlook has just downloaded the emails to my Hard Drive instead of off the Email companies server????

No you can't be infected until you open these files.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

E-mails are generally scanned first by your E-mail provider/ISP and second by your resident Anti-virus as part of its real-time protection. Additionally, many E-mail services will strip off dubious file types (zipped files, or .exe files for example) automatically.
Obviously, one should never open any file attachment unless it is 1)expected and 2)from a known source. Reading incoming E-mails in "plain text" is also recommended.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users