Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phrex

Phrex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

I'm having issues with my Dell XPS Gen2 Notebook computer with Windows XP Media Center. When I boot, my screen gets dotted vertical streaks of discoloration at the Dell logo screen as well as the Windows logo screen. Then the screen will get random patterns of discoloration, go entirely black, and the computer will not boot. I don't get any error messages at all, it just won't boot. If I'm using /SAFEBOOT, it will boot to safe mode after the screen goes black. Even when I run a Diagnostic Startup via msconfig, the system still won't boot except in safe mode.

Any ideas on how to fix this guys, or am I going to have to reinstall Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

Do you have a graphics card installed on your computer? If so, it's possible the card is on the verge of dying and needs to be replaced. The same thing happened to me 2 years ago, and it was the card causing the problem. This may not be what is causing the streaks for you, but it's something to consider.
Others may have some other ideas for you to consider.

#3 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

Thanks Evie, that is possible. About 3 years ago on my old Dell desktop, I had a similar problem with the screen bugging out. But in that case, an error message always came up mentioning nv4disp.dll or something, which indicates a problem with the video card. This time, I don't get any error messages. My video card is an nVidia GeForce 6800 Go. My computer is only about a year old so I don't expect the video card is already shot.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

Try booting into the BIOS and see if there is a setting to disable your video card and force the computer to use the on-board graphics. That should tell you if it's a problem with the card.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

Thanks Budapest. I checked the BIOS and unfortunately, there is no option to disable the video card. Nonetheless, I appreciate the help.

#6 Phrex

Phrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

So I disabled my video card through the device manager and I am having the same problems. Any other ideas guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users