Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Roll Back Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

Hey!

So I want to rollback my version of Windows Media Player from version 11 to version 9... i deleted WMP11, and it rolled back to WMP10... i am unable to delete this version... and when i try to install version 9 (downloaded off of the microsoft site), it helpfully tells me that WMP10 is already installed, and that I dont need WMP9.

Any ideas?

Colin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

What have you done so far in an attempt to uninstall WMP10?
(Have you gone to add/remove programs)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 February 2007 - 03:14 AM.

#3 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

yes i have.... wmp10 does not even appear in the add/remove programs list... i assumed it was part of one of the widnows updates packs or something.... i also cant find it using windows install cleanup program... i thought that maybe WMP10 cannot easily be deleted, like how internet explorer cannot be deleted using add/remove programs...

any other ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,099 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

From what I have read you cannot go back to WMP9 if you are using Windows XP or Vista. Nor can you completely remove WMP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sionofthePlayer
Rolling back to a previous version of the Player
Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, in Windows XP, you can roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

After reading what Buddy has to say, and you still want to try uninstalling WMP10, go to Add Remove, and at the top check SHOW UPDATES. It may show up, or it may not.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 February 2007 - 01:47 PM.

#6 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

rats.... well, the reason i wanted to change back to an earlier version is because i am having problems with both WMP10 and 11... the problem is that when i start a media file, its very quiet... then if i click somewhere on the seek bar, the volume jumps up tremendously...

this is a new problem... i reinstalled k-lite media codec pack, and it didnt solve the problem...

any ideas?

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

Back in my days of using Roxio, it used to hose my WMP. Then as WMP got more bloated, I used some of these to use older versions. But it's been a long time so I can't remember what worked the best. Maybe something here from my old notes will work for you.

Use this trick to uninstall MSN Messenger, Media Player, MSN Explorer and Microsoft Games. First, make a copy of sysoc.inf (found on the hard disk at \winnt\inf\sysoc.inf) before proceeding so that you can restore the initial configuration if necessary. Give the copy a different name, such as sysoc2.inf. Open the Sysoc.inf file. Each line of text in the file represents a component that can be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog. Delete the word HIDE for any component that you want to see in the dialog (do not erase the commas). Save the Sysoc.inf file, then close it, and reboot your computer. The Add/Remove Windows Components dialog will now display the items you want.

Another tip for Start-Run:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

Then I found this one but there is a space in the command that the one above doesn't have:

Microsoft's latest media software doesn't include a mechanism for uninstalling the software on Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Windows XP operating system. Typically software makers like Microsoft provide a simple means of uninstalling software--particularly software such as Media Player 9.

The only way to uninstall WMP 9 in WindowsMe and XP is to do a System Restore. Well this worked on Windows Me. Might work in XP. Don't know.

Goto Start - Run and enter the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll, LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall

I did this in Safe Mode. It rolls media player back to it's original install state. In my case I now have WMP 6.4. (which is the "classic" wmp that is usually included in WMP)

When I did it I did get an error that it couldn't unregister the OCX C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wmp.dll but it didn't seem to harm anything.

Also when I restarted windows I did get an explorer will now close error, but the next restart was fine.

Then I found this one in my notes specific to WMP10:

To remove Windows Media Player 10 Start> Run> Copy-paste this: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Setup_wm.exe /Uninstall

I think I also remember reading someplace that if you install WMP (over itself) once or twice, it will eventually give you an add/remove entry. A message may come up about overwriting or something like that. Tell it to do it anyway.

You can also find old WMP's here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp

Edited by mommabear, 28 February 2007 - 07:56 AM.

#8 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

thanks for the tips

none of them seemed to have worked unfortunately... im just going to start a new topic, with a more direct title...

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

Since you have already removed WMP11, version 10 is not going to be listed in the usual add/remove list. It is listed under Add/Remove Windows Components on the left side in add/remove. If you try to uninstall it, you will only be removing access to it.

Try playing other files (excluding the ones you have already tried) with WMP, or play the files you are having problems with in another player to see whether it is the files themselves or WMP that is the culprit.

#10 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

no, the problem is definitely with wmp... i can open files succesfully in media player classic...

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

I've heard the phrase "You can't uninstall Windows Media Player" so many times. It can be uninstalled. But, I don't know about rolling back to a previous versions of it. Actually, you won't be able to roll back to a previous version.. not unless you either reinstall Windows, or after deleting it, put your cd in and try to install it from there. This time, don't let Windows update your player.

To uninstall Windows Media Player, do this:

Goto the Control Panel.

Then goto Add/Remove Programs... and on the left side,, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components....... then scroll down on that screen that pops up and uncheck Windows Media Player, then ok it.

You now know how to uninstall Windows Media Player.

#12 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

It can be uninstalled

Not to get too far off topic, but this is what I get when following your instructions, & then attempting to play a file:

Posted Image

Posted Image

When going to the start menu & clicking on WMP, I get the cannot find the file error, & WMP is not listed as a program on my right click menu. However, since computers are not an exact science, yourself & others may very well indeed be able to completely uninstall WMP from your computer.

p.s. Works the same way with WMP10.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 02 March 2007 - 01:26 AM.

#13 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

You'll get that error if you've uninstalled it.

What you need to do now is just associate your media files to another program. Your error is caused by Windows still having Windows Media Player as the program to use to play your content. Associate your media to whatever else you are using.

#14 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

well... i too cant find it in the add/remove programs list, even with windows updates enabled... the reason i asked this original question was because i was wondering if it was possible to install WMP9 on windows XP... i tried installing, but i get a msg that says that since i have wmp10 (or 11), there is no need to install wmp9... i assumed that IF i could uninstall wmp10 (or 11), i could then install wmp9... but is that true? and if so, then how?

#15 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

If you no longer have WMP on your computer, the only way I believe it would work is that you put a Windows cd in and install it like that.

In case you haven't realized it yet, M$ rarely allows any backwards/older version installations of many of their products, and especially their OS's.

Just insert your Windows cd, and navigate to the WMP folder/files.... You may need to let Windows try to install it again from cd.... but I'm certain if you do it that way it'll work, especially if you're on XP Pro.

Give it a shot.... you won't hurt anything. If it doesn't work then you'll have to update/install the current version of WMP,, but I'm sure what I told you will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users