Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WuWu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

I'm at work and they just surprised me with a brand spanking new PC! Only problem is its XP. I know Nadda about XP yet. Iím hardcore for Win 98 and Win2K.

Well my win 98 and Win2K machines logged into the network in under 2 minutes, from hitting the power to being able to access network. This XP machine is Super fast loading but takes like 5-10 mins to Login! Should this be?

Is there anything a Normal Login (non Admin) can do to speed it up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

I know that may not be the answer you are looking for, but...

XP does take quite a bit to load up initially. You may see that it will actually speed up to a certain extent after you restart the computer a few times. XP has many more programs that are being loaded up compared to older versions. There are a few things you can do to help out a little. Of Course, system specs would help out here, including the amount of RAM. I have experienced first hand that XP is considerably better with at least 512 MG. Minimum is 256 and it can run with this, but more is definately better.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for reply

After many reboots still takes 5-10 minutes

Woops Yeah kinda forgot to put them :thumbsup:
XP SP2
System Properties shows (if its true I donno)
AMD Sempron 2200+ 1.49GHz
768MB RAM

Was doing some research last night. read somewhere that there is a uneeded Protocol that slows XP login down. But there was no mention on which protocol it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users