Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defaging With No Control Pannel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hi guys, I tried a search before posting with no results. Here is my problem. I have a used computer where the previous system admin removed all of the controls from the control pannel. Is there a "back door" or way I can defrag the hard drive without reinstalling the controll pannel options. I am removing my wifes personel data from her work PC because she was promoted and I will have to return the machine to her place of employment. thanx in advance.
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

Read through the Tweaking Companion, which is an excellent guide on using XP. There is a link in there somewhere which will allow you to reset the Admin password.

Otherwise, just navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and double click the dfrg.msc file to start the defrag utility.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

If this is a company computer I would be very careful what you do in regards to circumventing administrative rights. What Budapest recommends does not break Administrative Rights, and may not even work depending on how the Privileges are granted, but the attempt in it's self may violate company policy. I do not know what your wife's company policies are, but care should be taken.
If she is turning in this computer I would contact the System Administrator and ask him\her if you can wipe the drive. Many times when new employees receive an old computer it is wiped so they may not have access to someone else's data. If it is that company's policy to do so it would be easier to format and\or wipe the drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users