Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Guess This Is Where This Goes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tyroto411

tyroto411

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

Lets say weatherbug pops up each time I log on to my computer, how do I get it to stop popping up every time I log on? Or isn't there a way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

Start/Run

in the box type msconfig
click OK

Start Up tab
Look for anything associated with weatherbug, uncheck it, click Apply, then OK.

You will be asked if you want to restart or exit without restart, it's best to go ahead and reboot the computer.

OR, open weatherbug, look for options or preferences or something similar. See if there is a way to
to disable it from loading on startup.

While in msconfig, you can also look to see what else is set to load on startup. You can disable things like instant messengers, Office, Adobe Reader. The only thing I have set to load at startup are my firewall and antivirus. Everything else can be opened as you need them. The more programs loading, the longer it takes to finish loading your desktop.
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT SOMETHING IS, AND IT'S CHECKED, LEAVE IT ALONE. You can always ask someone about it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2007 - 07:30 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Info on Weatherbug and how to uninstall. It can be a pain.
http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

My favorite customizable weather site is Wunderground
http://www.wunderground.com/radar/map.asp
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

thanks, I found something that says If internet connection is active, open weatherbug to full display when weatherbug starts. Should I uncheck that?

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Info on Weatherbug and how to uninstall. It can be a pain.
http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

My favorite customizable weather site is Wunderground
http://www.wunderground.com/radar/map.asp

I'd recommend that you follow the advice that buddy215 suggested. Leaving that on your your machine is up to you, but you've already seen first hand what an annoyance it can be. You can uncheck that box you had mentioned, but the program will still reside on your computer. :thumbsup: If it were me, I'd get rid of it, as it's (IMHO) nothing but trouble! :flowers:

In buddy215's link, you can read about weatherbug and see that it's adware :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

I found this in the support section of Weatherbugs website.

Can I stop WeatherBug from opening automatically when I boot up?
To keep WeatherBug from automatically opening to full screen when your computer boots up, click on the Preferences button and choose the Connection tab. Uncheck the box "If internet connection is active….” Click OK at the bottom of the window and reboot your computer and this should correct the issue.

If you wish to completely disable WeatherBug when your computer boots up, go into Preferences and uncheck “enable WeatherBug to receive NWS alerts at Windows startup”. This means WeatherBug will NOT open at all when you boot up- you will have to manually open the program for it to run. We DO NOT recommend this as you will be unable to receive potentially life-saving weather alerts. If you disable it, anyone who wants to use WeatherBug must click the ladybug icon to open the program manually (thus you won’t get alerts until someone opens the program).

I totally agree with those who say get rid of it. When I was new to computers, I installed it on the laptop I had at the time. Didn't know anything about the program. It lasted less than a day on my pc. It was only after I uninstalled that I did a search for it, and read about what a pain it is.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

There are also free and uncompromising weather programs under "Time & Weather" in the BC forum below. Maybe that'll help you to keep a weather app on your PC.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Edited by boopme, 26 February 2007 - 10:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

WOW!!! You guys are extremely helpful and quick to respond, thanks. I got rid of it. My computer in already noticeably faster. Thanks again, I will always come here for my computer needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users