Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Rootkit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marcwalters29

marcwalters29

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hello all you clever people out there...i have been reading about "rootkit"and downloaded sophos antirootkit....i know its foolish to download with out checking but was reading advice i thought was true.... can any one tell me if this site is good? if the software is secure? my reason to worry is that i downloaded the software and then it didnt appear on my desktop or in new programs... i had to dig the program out in the search menu... it just made me think if this thing is real...any advice you can give would be great...thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to BC Marcwalters29 May I inquire why you did that?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

If you d'loaded it from Sophos it will be safe. They are an excellent malware group. Why don't you tell us what it is to be sure you didn't pull it from an ad.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 marcwalters29

marcwalters29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

I downloaded the freeware after reading pc toptips and a link given there...i was only worried because after downloading it was difficult to find... when i did find it it told me i had problems but could not get rid of them. should i be worried??

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:01 AM

Where did you download it from. If by opening the antirrot kit a warning started you shouldn't be worried. What was the excact location where it came from?

#6 marcwalters29

marcwalters29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:31 AM

i downloaded it from sophos....thanks for the advice and help....this is a great web site

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rootkit user manual
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif