Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

Hi and Happy New Year all. I have a strange problem with downloading with FireFox. That being every time I attempt a download the browser disappears, crashes. Before I can click where to save, everything is gone. I can download with IE and MSN IE no problems. I can also install extensions in FF.

So far to try and fix I have uninstalled an optimized version and reinstalled a regular version. No Spyware or virus I am sure. Regular disk checks, all updates, registry clean/repaired.

Any ideas what could be causing this? FF was my favorite for DL's because it was faster now it won't do it at all. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

Have you tried reinstalling Firefox?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:16 PM

If you do try reinstalling Firefox, make sure to manually delete this folder before you reinstall. C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Mozilla. This Mozilla folder contains all your personalized settings and if there is corrupted files in Firefox they may be in there. Application Data is a hidden folder so you have to set your folder options to show hidden files and folders.

Edited by Ronbo, 06 January 2005 - 03:17 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

From initial post: So far to try and fix I have uninstalled an optimized version and reinstalled a regular version. No Spyware or virus I am sure. Regular disk checks, all updates, registry clean/repaired.

All I kept was the bookmarks and extensions from the first install. Do you think extensions could cause it?

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

It could very well be one of the extensions. Why not try saving your bookmarks, uninstalling FF and deleting the Mozilla folder with all your extensions so you have a clean start. Then reinstall it and try a download to see if works, if it does, start installing all your extensions one at a time while trying a small download until you find the culprit.

#6 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

:flowers: Must have been an extension was able to download and save to the file I wanted. Life is good again! :thumbsup:

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:00 AM

Glad it worked for you. :thumbsup: I have had problems with firefox that ended up being corrupted data in that mozilla folder also. That's why whenever you uninstall firefox you should delete that folder along with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users