Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptops In Education

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

Was wondering if someone can give me a start on some laptop advice. I'm very good with desktops but no clue when it comes to laptops :thumbsup:
basically we would like to use these laptops in an education setting (students in grade 6-9) using basic programs such as MS Office / Open Office / Gimp / a number of educational programs and the internet over a network. Wireless (bluetooth) capabilities is a must.

i know dell, toshiba, HP and sony make a bunch of laptops but am not sure where to start looking. personally i'm an AMD fan but am also needing to balance money with practicality.

also am looking at some tablet PC's. any recommendations there?
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Well, since it's for education, and you won't be doing a lot of (if any at all) 3d gaming, then don't worry to much about a graphics card. However, don't go super cheap on graphics either....middle low end would be good (you know, maybe 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10).

Most of the education laptops that I looked at had the core 2 duo in them, which are pretty dang fast! I'd go with a full 1 gb of ram (2 if you'll be running vista). This will help to keep it fast for a few years and also leave enough ram for the shared (integrated or onboard) graphics.

Speaking with Vista, get with your IT people and see if they're up to snuff on the security and whatnot for Vista. It's new, so it's new to the IT people too, so you're IT folks might prefer XP (or XP pro) due to the fact that they know that OS and can already configure it.

The wireless (wi-fi) should either come standard or be an option that you can upgrade to. Check around, and get the best price (duh!). Also, don't be afraid to find a comparable model between (for example) Dell and HP and call one and say "well, Dell has this same thing for $xx dollars less (hey, it works for the regular customers right!) :flowers:

Tablet PC's......I have no clue, sorry! :trumpet: However, I can say that I'd stay away from them (except for maybe the teacher) due to the fact that I'd be afraid that the students would be to rough on them and they'd stop working (I'm sure that "abuse" isn't covered under warranty). Just MHO :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users