Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page Fault In Nonpaged Area

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

I have a Dell computer about 3 years old. I am using IE 7, Windows XP Home Edition, and dial up internet.
The past week, I have been getting the "blue screen" with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE3B89000, 0x00000000, 0x804F6719, 0x00000001)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I have not installed any new hardware or software in probably 2 years.
I have automatic updates from Microsoft every week, have automatic virus protection. I was on the phone with my ISP 3 times yesterday trying to fix another problem.

I can dial up, but cannot access any web pages. They tried 3 different things, and nothing worked. My computer is also running slow. All this happened about the same time, so I think the problems may be related. Although I could access web pages last week.

The first problem I mentioned happens 3 or 4 times every time I am on the computer and I have to turn it off to make the page go away. I am almost ready to take it to someone to fix it, but would really like to save the money if I could fix it myself. I had excellent help last year from one of your forums when I had a virus. I was able to successfully rid my computer of all viruses. I feel your advice is very trustworthy and easy for anyone to understand.

Thank you in advance for any help you could offer.

Peggy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Here's a link to the error message:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

The first step would be to do a memory test using this free program: http://www.memtest86.com/

Follow the directions and let the test run for at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better). Then let us know the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

Thank you for the links, just one problem though, I can't access any web pages! I will most definitely use these links as soon as this issue is resolved. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Peggy

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

You'll have to use another system to download the program and burn it to a CD as an image. Once that's done, you can boot to the CD and run the program. It'll tell you if there's an issue with your memory or not.

If you can't get at another computer right away - then try this (if you have more than 1 stick of RAM).

Unplug the computer from the wall
Open the case
Hold onto the metal of the case with one hand
With the other hand, remove one of the sticks of RAM and place it in a safe place.
Restart the computer to see if this fixes it.
If it doesn't, then try the other stick of RAM by itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was on the phone with Bell South last night and they walked me through a process to reload my IP/ISP. I can now access web pages. I looked at the first link you sent me and found no viruses. Tonight I will try the memory test. Thanks so much for all the help!

Peggy

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

Memory errors are strange creatures - they can be caused by hardware, software or drivers. The MemTest is just the start for locating it.

#7 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

I tried all three of the websites you suggested for the memory test and couldn't get anywhere with them. I was able to download one and burned it to a CD. I configured my computer to read disc E first so it could boot from the CD. I burned it as a boot disc. Should I have burned it as an Image? I'm not very familiar with all the computer language and what it means. Some of this stuff has to be spelled out for me. I was also going to use the Registry Mechanic free scan last night and it went real well until it got to the Add/Remove Programs area to scan, found 5 errors and then just stopped. It seemed to be still scanning, but I left it running all night and it was still on the same spot this morning. Any suggestions or ideas from anyone? Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Peggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users