Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail Forwarding From Yahoo To Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gzu88bv

gzu88bv

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:34 AM

I run XP Professional with Service Pack 2, IE 7.0 and McAfee Security Center (McAfee Spam Killer Vers. 7.0.25).

Every time I start my computer and want to see my mail in Outlook Express, the settings got changed within it. I use Yahoo mail and their forwarding instructions.

Following items are changed:

Pop3 serverport from 995 to 110
Pop.mail.yahoo.com to 127.0.0.1
Username from xxx to xxx@yahoo.com

I noticed an earlier thread regarding above and was indeed amazed that nobody could come up with a solution. Since I already pay for Yahoo mail and find Outlook Express rather handy, is there really no mastermind who could help me to avoid my changing back these settings all the time. Many thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

These resetted settings only happens with Yahoo mail?

Why does my mail server keep changing to 127.0.0.1 or localhost?

Both 127.0.0.1 and localhost refer to your own computer rather than the mail server. This is a technique used by some anti-virus (AV) programs to intercept mail in order to scan it for viruses. Sometimes this doesn't work properly and Outlook Express is then unable to send or receive messages. The server name in Outlook Express is changed by the program, so no matter how many times you change it to the correct name, it will be changed back by the AV program. It is possible the AV vendor has an update that will correct this, but it is far simpler and more effective just to turn off the e-mail virus scan. As I have explained in a previous column, this scan is not necessary to protect your computer and often creates conflicts with Outlook Express. The AV system scan is all that is needed for full protection. After disabling the e-mail AV scan you can change the server to its correct name and it will remain.

Came from here

Edited by fozzie, 26 February 2007 - 06:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users