Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Following Restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:35 AM

Howdy all.

My computer has been working flawlessly for some 18 months, until a couple of days ago, when the sound mysteriously stopped working. The problem began immediately upon attempting to view an online episode from CBS' InnerTube streaming video service. The video displayed just fine, but there was no sound. Following a restart, I had no sound aside from system beeps in any application, whether from .AVI and .MP3 files on my HD or games.

System specifics here:

Mobo: Asus A8N SLI (Nforce4 chipset)
Sound: Onboard Realtek AC 97

I've attempted the following fixes:

1) I downloaded the latest Nforce4 drivers, installed them and sound returned, but each time I restart, the sound disappears again. Repeatedly reinstalling drivers (usually two or more times) eventually causes sound to return.

2) Speakers have been tested via substitution, and they're fine. I'm tempted to try an old sound card, but t's obviously not a hardware issue because otherwise I'd never get sound at all.

3) The system scanned fine with AVG Pro. I run a full AVG scan daily, Spybot S&D every couple of days, RootKit Revealer once a week. I use ZoneAlarm as a firewall solution.

What gives now? Is there something that should be loading on startup that isn't? CBS InnerTube uses Flash or RealPlayer (user option). Why would using the service break sound?

Thanks for any assistance. I'm a software developer, not a desktop support guy, so these kind of issues are pretty obscure to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:40 AM

Try doing a system restore choosing a date and time just before you trying to view that video.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users