Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormlight

Stormlight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:16 AM

I have a rather serious problem with a new PC. It has two hard disks and I noticed a few weeks ago that one of them (the C: drive) had errors (using chkdsk). Windows XP is installed on drive D: and the system worked ... mostly.

From time to time I get a "disk read error" on boot-up. When I boot into the XP repair console and exit again, it works again for a couple of weeks.

Now, yesterday, I re-booted and the system didn't recognize the hard disks anymore. I tried auto-detect in Bios but that didn't work, either. I entered into the XP repair console and the D: drive (with the XP installation) is now C: and the second drive (former C:) is gone altogether. I tried to reinstall Windows, but as soon as the installation re-boots it just re-boots into the XP CD menu as it still doesn't recognize the hard disk ...

I will return the PC to the shop, but as these guys are completely useless (that will be the fifth time I return it in 3 months), I want to see what you all think what might be wrong here?

Thank you in advance for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:48 AM

If you go to the website of the manufacturer of the HDD you should be able to download a diagnostic programme that can test the drive and tell you if it has a hardware problem, in which case you'll have to replace it. You can normally get a tool that will make a bootable CD for the case where your computer won't boot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stormlight

Stormlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:52 AM

Thank you, Budapest. The thing is, now that the computer went down, I can't do that. I'm posting from work and can't download anything. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the PC is under warranty, but I still would like to know what could possibly cause this behaviour.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

No matter how good a company is there is always going to be the occasional failure, it sounds like your hdd may be in that class. Hopefully you don't have a lot of important information on it being new, the good news is that it is still under warranty.

If there is something that you want to try to retrieve you could try the old trick of taking the hdd and double bag is in zip lock baggies and put it in the freezer for about thirty minutes. This constricts the plates allowing one last gasp of spinning up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Stormlight

Stormlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

No matter how good a company is there is always going to be the occasional failure, it sounds like your hdd may be in that class. Hopefully you don't have a lot of important information on it being new, the good news is that it is still under warranty.

If there is something that you want to try to retrieve you could try the old trick of taking the hdd and double bag is in zip lock baggies and put it in the freezer for about thirty minutes. This constricts the plates allowing one last gasp of spinning up.

Heh, seeing that I had to reformat about a million times in the last 2 months, I have everything backed-up on an external hdd. Anyway, I will probably get a replacement PC.

Interesting idea about the hdd freezing, though!

#6 Stormlight

Stormlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:35 AM

Also, I can understand a new hard disk going down. What i find strange is that i lose both hard disks within such a short time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users