Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Installs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:33 AM

Hi , ive just started using Server 2003 (learning at home ) and was wondering how to install programs from 2003 server over the domain and or network (e.g. office). I would like to be able to deploy any program over the network to a set amount of computers without having to manually sit in front of each computer and install the program.
Thanks for any help and if possible keep it simple/stupid! :thumbsup:
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

I believe the network install, you will still have to go to each computer, but you can enter the IP address of the server in the Address bar of the Internet Explorer. IE if your servers address is 192.168.1.10 or the name is server, you can open the Internet explorer and in the Address bar type //192.168.1.10 or //server and that will take you to the servers web page. From there you can install programs from the server on the computer, join a domain ect.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

Ok what Im trying to do is this, Iam running server 2003, which Iam sitting in front of and I want to install office 2003 on to 3 computers (remotely) in the domain. So how do I do that from server?
MCP
MSDST

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

You need to preform a software roll out. You can setup a group policy on a group of machines to force the software to install on all of the computers that are in that Organizational Unit you have placed them in. You CANNOT set group policies on the default Organizational Units.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 15 March 2007 - 06:06 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

Hi Computerwizz! thanks for the advise, from what I have read and asked around you are spot on. But Iam new to the server enviroment and want to learn more so can you direct me so I can learn how to do this, as I have lots of books ect. and they say this is the way to go but not how to do it!
Any help would be much appreciated.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users