Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Loading Then Freezes During Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Just when I thought I fixed it. I recently posted a problem about my computer POSTing a floppy disk error and I solved that by defaulting the BIOS. That worked, but I got a notice from the computer saying a file was corrupted and to run chkdsk. So I did. Sure enough, some files got corrupted. No big deal, I ran the XP repair installation, taking it back to SP 1.

Now, it seems to take forever for XP to load up and keeps freezing up, forcing me to reset it. Right now I'm running the XP repair AGAIN, in the hopes that the first freeze-up just screwed something up and that doing it again should be okay, provided it doesn't freeze up again.

Could an overheated mobo permanently damage BIOS or any part of start-up? Am I screwed? I'm only guessing my problems were the result of overheating since it was the first time I put my computer in stand-by mode and it all went to hell after that.

Looks like the 2nd XP repair isn't going so hot either...froze up again during the XP "Please wait" loading screen. I'm feeling very...very...low right now.

Edited by Venek, 25 February 2007 - 09:46 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

I'd back up my files, wipe it, and start with a fresh installation. Sometimes it's just easier.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users