Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Post...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JasonS

JasonS

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

So, this all started months ago when my parts arrived, and I set about putting them together. As expected, the thing didn't work when I powered it on. It wouldn't go past the post screen. I got some help and managed to get it to install Windows. I ran it fine for awhile until I realized that the RAM was in the wrong slot. I moved the stick to the appropriate slot, and everything went downhill from there. So, after a lot of tinkering, I gave up and sent back the motherboard and RAM. I would have sent back the CPU, but it was overdue, and I couldn't. I recently recieved my new RAM and motherboard, and I put the computer back together, being careful about which parts I put in first and wearing an antistatic band. When everything went in, I powered it on. It didn't post. Nothing on the screen. No beeps telling me it had passed POST. Just a single red LED and a single green LED.

Now, I have 2x 1GB Mushkin RAM, an Abit KN8 SLI motherboard, and a radeon X1600XT. I used the shadow card in place of a second card, since I don't have one. There was a bit of thermal compound that got on the socket, but I cleaned that off, and reseated both the RAM and CPU. Still the same result. Won't post. Checked the jumpers, cleared the CMOS, nothing. Not working. Can I get a little help here? I want to take it to a professional, but I don't have a job, let alone money.

Edited by JasonS, 25 February 2007 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Try clearing the CMOS. Is the shadow card in the PCI-E slot 2?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JasonS

JasonS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:54 AM

Yes, the shadow card is in slot 2, and I've tried clearing the CMOS. I mentioned that already. Ugh, this whole deal is why I never liked PCs. I've been a Mac user for years, but their limited game library has forced my hand.

Edited by JasonS, 26 February 2007 - 01:57 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:40 AM

Are the any beeps? I tried going to the Abit site twice tonight for the beep codes but it looks like their site is down. What does the manual say about beep codes for the POST failures?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JasonS

JasonS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

No beeps, no nothing. Sent a current through the beeper, and it's working. I've just been informed, though, that my ATI card may not even work on an SLI motherboard. I set it up to run in single card mode, but that might not be enough.

Edited by JasonS, 26 February 2007 - 09:22 PM.

#6 JasonS

JasonS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Here's an email the guy who is working on the computer sent me:

Well I made some progress. I tried powering on the system with no RAM installed. The thing gives a long beep every 3 seconds, typical error code for no RAM found. So that tells me that MB and CPU are probably working.

So I tried each RAM individually in slot 1. No beeps.

So I'm pretty sure it's dead RAM. Looked at the Mushkin site for tech info on this MB, didn't find any. Registered for the forum so I could post some questions but have not gotten my account activated yet.

Gather up your purchase receipts, order forms, whatever for the RAM. Let's see if we can get these chips replaced for free under warranty.

#7 JasonS

JasonS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

We found out what the problem was.

Posted Image
See the white scratch mark on the PCB? It starts right where that metal prong of the heatsink is and runs straight down to the damaged pin. And you can see fiberglass residue on the tip of both prongs on each side of the heatsink. The heatsink was pushed down, this prong slid along the PCB leaving the scratch, then broke the pin.

Yeah, turns out he did that when he pushed them in the first time. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users