Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Open Excel Attachment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

I received an e-mail with excel attachment (.xls). When I tried to open the attachment I got an error message I've never seen before: "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

I downloaded excel viewer 2003, but I still get the same message.

Using Windows XP Home, Outlook Express.

Thanks,
Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

Was this ever solved? Outlook Express has problems with attachments unless you configure it propperly. The workaround would be, providing you can connect to your email, is to download the attachment from the web.

Have a look at Blocked Outlook Express Attatchments ? - The Solution! or Free Outlook Express Extractor download - Extract outlook express ...

#3 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

Yours is the only answer I've had to this question. Thanks, I will look at the sites you suggested.

Karen

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Did you download the attachment, and THEN try to view it, or did you try to open it directly from the E-mail?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

It's been awhile but I know I originally tried to open the attachment from e-mail, as I normally would. Then I downloaded the "viewer" & tried again to open from e-mail, with the same result.

In the meantime I received the attachment in a different format -- but for future reference, would like to know what my problem is.

Thanks
Karen

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

What was the "different format', and what was the original file type? Perhaps if we knew the differences, it might help to understand the problem you had.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

If you have no program for opening this file format then I would say maybe download Open Office. This is a free version of office developed for the open source market. It can be used to open normal office files.
Ther are subtile differances between it and real office but for a free version it is very good.
Posted Image

#8 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

What was the "different format', and what was the original file type? Perhaps if we knew the differences, it might help to understand the problem you had.
Regards,
John

The format I successfully received was Adobe Reader. The original file type was Excel spead sheet, or .xls ext.

Thanks,
Karen

P.S. I am not receiving e-mail notification of replies.

#9 merdatous

merdatous

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

I can't open Excel files from Outlook or by right clicking in my explorer directories. The only way I open Excel files is to save the file to my hard drive and use file-open within Excel
..... Here are the messages: "the system cannot find the file specified" in Excel I get message after message about no file found!
It just happened out of the blue, I use to be able to open, print, view right from Outlook.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

merdatous, did you try the links fozzie gave in post #2?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users