Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey Guys.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bobboy

Bobboy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys, I need help before I do something really, REALLY stupid. Here is the problem:

What is a good, fair cost graphics card that can fit into a HP Pavilion Slimline s7415c? If any can fit into there at all... O_o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

From reading in the manual it seems like it doesn't have any graphics slots such as PCI express x16 or AGP. It does have one regular PCI slot, but it says its being taken. Anyways PCI graphic cards are not good. I got one and besides the fact it can barely play games, for the same price, could of gotten something so much better for a better slot.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Bobboy

Bobboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Well thats just great. Still, ppl help me out, although I may just steal my sister's comp which she barely ever uses.

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Frankly, you don't really have any options for it. Without even a pci slot, you can't install a graphics card. Go steal your sister's pc! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#5 Bobboy

Bobboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

Then I guess that's what I'll do. She has a Compaq Presario SR1950NX. The best thing is that we got it from a cyber-cafe-type-thing so it is ok for games :D. She's lucky she can use Aero -_-. Or maybe Im just unlucky.

She already has a laptop, anyway. And since only 1 desktop keyboard works, which is mine......

#6 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

I just went trough this, and the thing now is to get a Vid Card that supports Pixel Shader 3.0. Because all new games have this shader, so if you plan to play new games you better get this. Games like F.E.A.R., DoomIII, CoD2, BF2142, etc. will ask for this Shader to actually let you install the game.
Now the lack of AGP or PCIx slot is really a problem, because to get the best performance you gotta have this. In my case I still use AGP, and got a GeForce 6800XT. Maybe look at your sis PC and see if it has AGP or PCIx port to get a good Video Card.

Here is a explanation of the Pixel Shader.

According to what I reserched, all Vid Cards above GeForce 6200, and ATI X1000 series will support this Shader.

Hope it helps

:thumbsup:

Mav

#7 Bobboy

Bobboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

Thx :thumbsup:. Its kinda messed up that i don't even know the G card on my stupid tiny little single, normal PCI slot-bearing computer. I think I'll check it out right now.

What color are PCIX slots? Cause I see a bunch of slots in my sis's comp. I remember trying to take her G card out but soon found that it was integrated -.- sux. Well, even then I would have found that I could not install it on my stupid tiny comp.

#8 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

They are way different, (physically) take a look here to see the difference between them.

AGP slots have a little "lock" to keep the VidCard in place...

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 26 February 2007 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users