Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot>f8 To Last Known Good: Can Registry Hive File Be Swapped Out Somehow?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diggledoogeydo

diggledoogeydo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

I haven't had this happen but Just wondering: lets say that all reg hives in boot table are corrupt and blue screen results on all options-but you have a current valid full TRULY KNOWN GOOD copy of the hive (exported to another drive, usb key, cd or other media etc.) Does anyone know how you could swap out or point the source file loaction to a REAL "last known good" registry file. I'm going to guess the gurus will suggest to boot to XP console as a solution- but dont really know what the procedure would be.

Edited by diggledoogeydo, 25 February 2007 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

Using a PE mode boot disk will allow you to replace files. But I've found that even this isn't successful if the hives are loaded on startup. Also, the method doesn't always work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

If your hives are corrupted then there is only one way out unless you had a back-up of your registry from before they went corrupt.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;310353

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:11 AM

You can extract a part of the information in the hives from previous restore points using a PE boot CD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users