Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Install Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 harmonyal

harmonyal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

Upgrading to IE7 has rendered my pc almost unuseable. It will not let me uninstall IE7 and return to IE6.....error message stating that IE 7 is a newer version...
How can I uninstall IE7 and return to IE6..... the uninstall wizard asks me to insert "Windows NT service Pack Service Uninstall Directory" and my OS is XPSP2 . Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

go to add/remove programs. Scroll down till you see Windows Internet Explorer 7. Click remove.

That should remove/uninstall IE7
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

If you are not having any luck with that method,follow the instructions in the following M$ article;
How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 7.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

trying all of these options still results with the same COPY ERROR....and asks me to use NT SERVICE PACK UNINSTALL DIRECTORY. apparently some files didn't install correctly when I installed IE7 which is making my system problematic and the uninstall wizard won't let me uninstall IE 7 without copying these files...ieelua.chm is one of the files missing from C:\WINDOWS\ie7 Where/how can I get the uninstaller? Should I throw this computer out of the first or second story window? :thumbsup:

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

Hi harmonyal,
I suggest reading the following article; IE7 Pre Installation Advise.

And then try uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 per Sandi's tips, and using The IE7 Home Page as the installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:24 AM

I had many problems installing IE7, the install didnt work properly.

The way i managed to uninstall it was in Safe Mode, have you tried this?

Regardless of the security that IE7 offers (and believe me, im very big on security and protecting my PC as best as possible), I have stuck with IE6, IE7 and I don't get on shall we say.

Then again, the only time i use IE is for updates, otherwise its Firefox all the way.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

Then again, the only time i use IE is for updates, otherwise its Firefox all the way.

I'm with you all the way on this graveangel.
harmonyals' initial install didn't work properly either.
So maybe we can remedy the situation with this work around and she will be able to remove IE7.

Never thought of trying Safe Mode!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hi guys,

I really appreciate your help with my problem. I'm not sure how to use the safe mode on my pc and would appreciate it if you could step by step instruct me. Everything that I've tried so far leads me back to the message telling me to use "windows NT service pack uninstall directory" Where do I get this? Thanks, Alan

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

As graveangel suggested, try to uninstall IE7 in Safe Mode.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

could you please tell me how to use the safe mode so I don't make mistakes? thanks

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Sure.

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory,hard drives installed etc.
At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.It will be a black screen.
Your mouse will not be operational at this point,select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Now go into your Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and remove IE7 the same way you tried before.

Restart your computer and hopefully IE7 will be history.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

gentlemen, I certainly DO appreciate your help and patience while trying to help solve my problem. As of yet I'm still stuck and nothing we've tried has worked. To me this has been a real pain because it was caused by microsoft installing an automatic update that started this mess in the first place. My machine is still telling me to use the "windows NT service pack uninstall directory" to find the missing files...ieeula.chm....iesupp.chm....ie.explore.chm....html.chm...etc. etc. Can anyone tell me where I can get this uninstall drectory? Is it something that I can get from Microsoft? Thank You! Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users