Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drives can't be accessed

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 rastamandan

rastamandan

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

My CD writer and DVD drives have been playing up for a while now the won't register whether there is a CD in them. They come back with the message insert CD into Drive D:, or a screen is displayed as if the disk were empty. If I try to get to them through a programme it says I do not have access and to see the administrator. Unfortunately thats me and I've not got a clue.

This wasn't such problem as it was intermittent but I just attatched a new pci 3 USB card with another three in the floppy disk bay. Now I get the same message please insert disk into drive if I try to use the CD, floppy, or plug my USB stick into the USB ports.

The device manager says all of these devices are functioning propperly.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

This happens every time or only once in a while?

#3 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

It is happeneing every time, the drives seem to work and recognise a cd or the contents of my usb if I insert them and then reset my pc but if I plug in or insert a cd or usb stick when the computer is on it just says "Please insert disk into drive".

Thanks

Daniel

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:29 PM

Is this a brand name computer or custom built?

#5 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:32 AM

The pc was custom built by a company for me about three years ago now. The drives which aren't working are my DVD, Atapi CDRW Floppy and USB connections.
They each recognise that there is a disc in them or that the USB device is plugged in if the disc or device is in before you power up the pc. But if you try and insert a usb device or CD/floppy disc the computer gives the message "Please insert disk into drive"

Dan

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

I am wondering if you may need to try updating the bios on your computer. Do you know the make an model of your motherboard?

#7 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

Not sure how to find out what make the board is, I've had a look at it and the only thing written on it is "MS-6330 Lite" which is on a sticker ontop of a large chip.

Daniel

#8 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:24 PM

Also managed to read this from the back of the motherboard.

CADAC CMVO-2 E77755 94v-0 01 33 16330303

I have also tried removing the new usb pci card to see if it was causing the problem but the reamining usb1.1, CD and Floppy drives still ask for a disk to be inserted. The only way I can get them to recognise that there is a disk in them is to put a disk in a nd then reset my computer. This seems to work with all of the drives and USB ports so there must be a common problem between them all.

Daniel

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:25 PM

Your Motherboard would seem to be a MSI K7T Turbo but that is a guess as there is another version called a Pro 2.

Before you think about flashing your Bios, which is a rather extreme step that can ruin your MB, have a look in device manager to see if all devices are installed properly and that there are no yellow exclamation marks or red x's, especially in the USB area.

Have you tried a CD drive cleaner yet as this has been an ongoing problem?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

The pisture of the board in that link looks the same as my MB.

Device Managersays that all devices are functioning properly appart from a device called PCI Simple Communications controller, which I think is mt modem which has never been used since I am on a network running broadband.

If you mean a physical device to clean the CD drive, I don't think this will help as all drives and USBports do work as long as the Disk or usb stick is in the drive or port before you turn the pc on. The problem occurs when you try and insert a disc or stick when the pc is running. Then it produced the message "Please insert disk into drive".

Dan

#11 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:45 AM

How do I update the Bois for my motherboard then?

Any other suggestions?

Dan

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

That PCI controller is a modem. If you are not using it go into control panel and put a check mark in the box that says Disable in this hardware configuration. The Yellow mark will change to a red X. This may be causing a hardware conflict that is part of your problem.

Your MB has a feature called Live Bios Update. Do you have the MB CD or is the MB programming on your computer? You would access it that way.

CADAC CMVO-2 E77755 94v-0 01 33 16330303

That has something to do with your video or sound.

What is your operating system? Before flashing the Bios I would remove the USB and CD and DVD devices in Device Manager and reboot and reinstall the drivers. It could be just a corrupted driver.

How do you have your CD and DVD set up. On the same cable? Which one is the Master? I've cured problems by switching the DVD from master to slave, especially with XP.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:05 AM

Uninstalled each drive and then re-installed but they still don't work.

I don't have the MB Disc so it might be on my computer, where would I find it.

I had already disabled the old modem a few days ago but this also had no effect.

I've had a full virus scanning and High Jack this Log looked at by somone on another forum and there aren't any viruses or programms running which could be causing this.

Starting to give up now.

Daniel

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

Need to know about that Flash drive. Exactly what is it?

Still waiting to hear what OS you have.

The MB program is probably in Start>Programs. Sometimes there is an icon beside the clock. Go to Start>Find>files and folders and look for MSI.

Edited by Leurgy, 12 January 2005 - 12:39 PM.

#15 rastamandan

rastamandan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:13 AM

If you mean my USB stick i'm unsure of the make, but in my house we have three different usb memory stick and two usb mp3 players and none of those can be recognised either. I'm at university at the moment and my usb stick is working fine in the uni computers so I don't think it's that.

I'll have a look at the MSI when i get home, I am running XP Pro, AMD Athlon.

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users