Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Video Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

So here's the deal. I purchased Battlefield 2142 and it is a sick game. I'm playing it on another computer of mine (AMD Athlon 2.1GHz, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon 9200, XP Pro SP2) and for some reason whenever I play it on this computer, the game loads fast, the menus are all fine, but when I get into the multiplayer game, it takes a good 30 seconds for the menu to load so i can choose my spawn spot. On my sis's IBM ThinkPad, it takes less than 1 and I have no lag. It's the kind of lag where its not stop for a long time, than warping, it's you move once every second and NOTHING is workable at that speed. Honestly, it's quite frustrating because I can't always use my sister's laptop and my main computer (specs in sig) is out of commision (updating hardware, waiting for RMA's on everything :flowers:) So I'm stuck with nothing but uber lag. Also, I had a benchmark in while playing game, and the menus run at about 50FPS average, and the game runs at about 4FPS, on average. When I was in a corner with no view, I topped at 15 FPS. Does anyone have a fix for me?

Note: All settings are turned way down and I have minimal applications running. Also the game is entirely up-to-date. This is the only game iI'm having trouble with :thumbsup:

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

:thumbsup: Bump because no one see's it on the second page...

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#3 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Would it be possible to put your 9800 in there? The system requirements for battlefield 2142 say it needs higher than a 9200

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 26 February 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Also, stay off of the larger maps, and try to find servers with a nice ping (green) to join. Play a map that's either 12 or 16 player max (that only has 8 or 10 ppl in it) and see if that helps. The smaller maps will help to reduce lag, while a green ping will do the same.

You said that you had everything on the lowest settings....was that in game or in the catalyst drivers for the card itself? You can try putting (if you already haven't) the graphics card itself to all "speed" settings instead of "quality" settings. Ensure that both are set to lowest settings (in game and graphics).

I'm assuming that you're on Direct X 9.0c :flowers: And that you're spyware/malware free :trumpet: :inlove:

I can say that that game is a beast. On the larger maps (64 ppl) it lags my machine when there's arty going off...brings it to a stop and go like you had described earlier...then when it finally comes back to normal, I'm lying on the ground screaming "MEDIIIIIIC!" :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

"Also, stay off of the larger maps, and try to find servers with a nice ping (green) to join. Play a map that's either 12 or 16 player max (that only has 8 or 10 ppl in it) and see if that helps. The smaller maps will help to reduce lag, while a green ping will do the same. It's in general not just multiplayer

You said that you had everything on the lowest settings....was that in game or in the catalyst drivers for the card itself? You can try putting (if you already haven't) the graphics card itself to all "speed" settings instead of "quality" settings. Ensure that both are set to lowest settings (in game and graphics). They both are, and windows eye candy is off too :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that you're on Direct X 9.0c :flowers: And that you're spyware/malware free :woot: :inlove: I sure am :cool:

I can say that that game is a beast. On the larger maps (64 ppl) it lags my machine when there's arty going off...brings it to a stop and go like you had described earlier...then when it finally comes back to normal, I'm lying on the ground screaming "MEDIIIIIIC!" :trumpet:" I know, The chances I had to play it, it was pretty beast, lol. The sickest game I've played graphics and gameplay wise.

"Would it be possible to put your 9800 in there? The system requirements for battlefield 2142 say it needs higher than a 9200" ...I've never thought of that, :cool: Good idea. Only thing is I would of liked it to work without that cause that I can have my other system doing it's own thing and play it on this one, but I guess that'll work for now! I guess it just didn't meet system requirements, which really sucks cause when i built this computer, it was top of the line...was top of the line... :huh: Oh well, thanks for all your respones! Just wish it would've worked otherwise. Peace out!

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

"Would it be possible to put your 9800 in there? The system requirements for battlefield 2142 say it needs higher than a 9200" ...I've never thought of that, :inlove: Good idea. Only thing is I would of liked it to work without that cause that I can have my other system doing it's own thing and play it on this one, but I guess that'll work for now! I guess it just didn't meet system requirements, which really sucks cause when i built this computer, it was top of the line...was top of the line... :flowers: Oh well, thanks for all your respones! Just wish it would've worked otherwise. Peace out!

:thumbsup: I thought that you knew that which was why I was giving advice on how to (try to) make it run a little faster on lower specs! :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users