Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Men And Masculinity

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

The new breed of man here is called the METRO HUNK.On TV I watched a Documentary on the changing face of the New Breed.Men are having Facials,Waxes,Perms,Manicures incl Toe Nails,Wearing Makeup,LipGloss,some wear Mascara,Eye Shadow and put Moisture Cream on all the time.They spend as much time in front of the mirror as the Ladies.These are not Gender Benders,but normal guys, as they are seen later with their Girlfriends or their Wives and Children.I was shocked at what I saw.I am not a Yobbo and pay attention to my looks,but absolutely would refuse to come at this new trend,personally.
How do the Ladies and Men view this trend?.I would feel I was losing my Manly Image if I started useing all this crap.I use normal mens toiletries and that's where I draw the line.I guess I may be just plain old fashioned.Would women like their men to steal the Bathroom all the time,and do any of you men think you would follow this trend? :thumbsup:
Appreciate any Opinions on this Subject.

Edited by DSTM, 25 February 2007 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

I think if this makes some men feel good, then do it.
I saw a commercial for a show that featured Japanese men doing all those things and thought it was kinda weird.
I might have a problem with a man who took longer to get ready than me. :flowers:

My brother spends a lot of time in front of the mirror. He doesn't do the makeup and the manicures, but he pays a lot of attention to his appearance. I always asked him where was he going, to the prom? :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

Guys wearing makeup is pathetic.

Trust me not all guys are like this. I mean I wear deoderent....

#4 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

i think its a little odd, because even women constantly worrying about their looks bother me. but hey, if guys want to make their feet pretty and wear shiny lip gloss, more power to them.

#5 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

I think we are returning to the time of Louis XIV of France where men use make up and long artificial hair for their beauty. :flowers: Louis XIV
For me, this is a loss of time. But, like tink said, if this makes some men feel good, then do it. :thumbsup:
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

That new breed is called overhere Metro sexual. Indeed taking care of themselves like a fireman takes care of his car. Wikipedia article on that. Let me phrase my opinion like this : Between black and white there is this nice colour called grey. My male perpspective is that women like the fact we take care of personal hygiene but not to much.. We have smell and look propperly and than it is ok, or am I terribly wrong

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

That new breed is called overhere Metro sexual. Indeed taking care of themselves like a fireman takes care of his car. Wikipedia article on that. Let me phrase my opinion like this : Between black and white there is this nice colour called grey. My male perpspective is that women like the fact we take care of personal hygiene but not to much.. We have smell and look propperly and than it is ok, or am I terribly wrong

GREY has never been a favourite colour of mine,Fozzie. :thumbsup:
To me you should be Black or White.

Edited by DSTM, 25 February 2007 - 12:23 PM.

#8 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

In my youth, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my Grandfather had a friend that was an old military man.
Very often, my Grandfather take me with him to take a walk and we almost always found that old man.
When we found him he always catch me and like my Grandmother put me some good smell before we leave home, he turned itself toward my grandfather and always said the same thing:
"Joćo (name of my Grandfather) you have to tell your wife that real men should smell like farts and powder. With these kind of smells she is turning your Grandson into a girl".
Excuse me DSTM, but I couldn't resist to tell this true story of my distant past. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Darthy

Edited by Darthy, 25 February 2007 - 07:48 PM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Darthy, love the story of the old man and his advise that "real men" should smell like "farts and powder" - I wonder if he was single by any chance? Because surely no woman would willingly take a guy like him on - grin! Eep!

I must say I would find it odd indeed if my beloved husband suddenly started to wear make-up as my personal preference is that men simply smell clean and good and are well-groomed.

But on the other hand, I can surely sympathize with a man who is born with fair eyelashes, etc - at least, we women have the option of adding mascara. Hmmm ... do think though that I'd prefer a man get his eye-lashes dyed rather than competing with me for the bathroom mirror with both of us putting make-up on.

In reality, though, I guess it's, for me, somewhere along the line with people having the nose and lips pierced - doesn't make them 'bad' people anymore than those that have their bodies covered with tattoos, so guess if men choose to do all this and it makes them feel better about themselves, what the heck. (After all, lots of men have veered away from the typical barber shop and have been getting their hair styled instead - yipee!!).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

Frankly, I rarely ever use make-up. And if I can't do my hair in 5 minutes or less, it ain't getting done. I'm the kind of person that will get out of bed and be out the door on the way to work or school in less than a half-hour. My brother on the other hand spent copious amounts of time primping and preening when he was in high school. If the car windows were open he'd complain that the wind was messing up his hair, just like Mom did. I think most make-up makes people look ridiculous and fake unless they are on stage. I don't think the use of make-up has anything to do with masculinity or femininity.

For what it's worth, everyone has both masculine and feminine qualities. I think it is detrimental to society to deny this, and that people need to accept both these qualities in everyone.

Ooo! Didn't Mom get mad when I would put on Dad's Old Spice or one of his other sweet-smelling colognes. I haven't found a 'woman's' perfume yet that I liked. If I want to put scent on, I still use one of Dad's colognes or else I use an essential oil.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

Ooo! Didn't Mom get mad when I would put on Dad's Old Spice or one of his other sweet-smelling colognes. I haven't found a 'woman's' perfume yet that I liked. If I want to put scent on, I still use one of Dad's colognes or else I use an essential oil.

oh, i'm the same way! arent those scents much more comforting than womens perfume! perfumes usually make me sneeze, but i love men's cologne.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

When I saw this Guy having a bikini wax and then having his butt waxed,I cracked up.I couldn't believe what I was seeing.I believe a guy should look his best at all times,but I think there is a limit.Only ever had 2 colognes,"Old Spice" and now,"Tabac" Original.My wife uses "Red Door" by Elizabeth Arden.The only womens perfume,I really like.All the ones I have smelt always gives me a headache within minutes because to me they are too overpowering and sickly.With "Red Door" I absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

EDIT. "OPIUM" by Yves Saint Laurent, is not bad either,IMO.

Edited by DSTM, 25 February 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#13 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Ouch just thinking about a bikini wax, male or female!

It's funny about scents and how some people hate certain perfumes and love others - and I can surely relate to those that get smashing headaches from certain ones. 'Poison' (spelling?) is the worse for me - poor sinuses take an instant beating.

And even odder how a certain perfume or cologne smells wonderful on one person and positively stinks on another. (I've worn Shalimar for over 30 years, yet when a friend tried it - well, there wasn't really a polite word for how she smelled - gentle smile).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Aye, yes. Everybody's body chemistry is different and thus will react differently with the chemicals in the scents. In fact, I've observed with some folks that a scent that was wonderful on them some years before now smells simply awful.

I eat lots of garlic and onions, so those oils will interact with any scent I put on.
---------
Waxing one's behind? Ouch! Was that guy a model or what? He must have had a hot seat for a while. :flowers:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I look at it like this. I love the way woman smell,it's interesting and erotic. Not sure if that's from spending an awful lot of time in gyms. They're are like fresh air. I use colognes and the wife tells me not to color the few greys I sprouted on my sideburns.

I've seen on the news also where more men are getting breast reduction surgery (man boobs). I don't think I would go for the makeup, lip gloss,waxing route (tho some guys backs could use it). I don't think I'd feel like me with all that on. I'd feel like Halloween.

Once in High School at a wrestling tounament ..I put minced garlic on my back before I went to the mat. :thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 25 February 2007 - 09:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users