Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Small Fonts All Over

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PurePlaya

PurePlaya

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:21 AM

Hi...
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I was using my computer today and suddenly the view switched to the desktop and all the fonst were tiny. When I say tiny I mean not possibly readable. I tried using the computers magnifying glass and I come up with a bunch of dark pixels...

I'm using Windows XP.
I've tried preferences everywhere, browser, display settings...etc. Changing resolustion does nothing for the font. Some things are smaller as well. For example, When I bring up the start menu, the menus are vertically scrunched up in the lefthand quarter of the screen, as opposed to the whole screen as normal. No fonts are readable there either. I also tried using the scroll magnification in browsers.. but that only enlarges whats on the page.

There are a few places where I am able to read the fonts normally, however. Browser pages are normal in font, and I can read clearly. Like this post, I can read fine. The address bar, the menu and the top bar that tells you what program you're using are all in small font. Another place that I can read fine is when I press Shut Down. The Whole Shut down interface is normal font, save for the top bar again...

Hopefully I havent been over-descriptive and you can help me with my problem.
Again, whatever help is really appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

In this post you adressed some issues but you never followed it up? Is this another computer or the same.

As far as the smaller fonts is concerned this could be a video card issue. Which video card do you have? And have you installed latest drivers? Did you play any online games such as WoW or Conquest?

#3 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

Yeah its the same computer. Sorry about not following up on feedback. You guys helped me with my problem and it went away...

Ive had the same vdeo card for years, but now that you mention it, I just started playing Gunbound again yesterday. I had played it a few years ago, and nothing like this happened.

#4 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

Sorry to double post but I just wanted to make it clear that when I said that you helped me with my problem, I meant last time. I still have really small fonts everywhere...

Dont know how to double post, ha.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

And have you installed latest drivers

#6 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:26 AM

No I haven't... Where is a good place to get the newest one?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:24 AM

From the video card manufacturer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

If your not sure of your video card manufacturer, then download SIW. This is a standalone system information tool that provides detailed information about your CPU, Memory, Hardware, etc. That will help you determine the exact model of your card so you can go to the vendor's site and check for updated drivers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

All the fonts in SIW are too small to read... Is there another way to find out? I think I have GeForce 4 but I'm not sure...

Another thing... Sometimes I go to play that game Gunbound (the one I think caused the problem) and when it loads, the Windows logo appears in its little blue shaded box and says loading, then goes black and white, then the fonts get big. But after the game completes its loading, the fonts go back to small...

#10 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

I just looked around on my computer and found an NVIDIA program, and it says this:

Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000.

I don't know if that helps at all....
I tried to look for updates but I can't seem to find any....

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:19 AM

Posted Image
Latest drivers for MX4000

#12 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the link - Unfortunately, it seems the driver is not the problem... I installed it and restarted, but nothing has changed... Any other suggestions?

#13 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hey... It's been a couple days...Is there anything else I can do to solve my problem? Please help....

#14 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:50 AM

Can you hook up this monitor to another computer to see whether it is a monitor problem or a pc problem?

#15 PurePlaya

PurePlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Yea.. I did and it's a PC problem. I don't think it's a virus but I think the computer has some sort of command to make the fonts small. Like I said, when I installed that game gunbound it started doing this. I installed it before, and there were no problems, but this time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users