Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Graphics Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Yesterday I got command and conquer generals, and installed it.About every 30 seconds while it was running, even while not playing a game, it locks up but the music still plays and I can still move my cursor. Then for about 5 seconds the monitor turns blank and the light turns orange as if it can't find a connection. Then the game comes back on and plays for about 30 seconds and does this again. I installed the latest ATI driver (7.2) and the game ran well yesterday. Then today when i play I'm getting the problem again. It's also happening in other games, but doesn't when I'm just browsing the internet or everything else.

One time I even got a BSOD saying an error with the file ati2dvag.dlll, and theres an infinite loop or something.

I tried uninstalling all the drivers in safe mode, then restarted my computer and reinstalled them, but it didn't fix anything. I also have the latest version of directx9.

Another thing is I got a DVD burner drive and 2x512mb of ram yesterday to. I don't think they would be a problem though.

Here is my original post I made in the games forum section. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82654/c-c-generals-screws-up/

Computer specs:

Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz
2x512mb DDR ram
ATI Radeon x1300 256mb PCI
80gb hdd with 28gb free

thanks for reading this long post!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

I thought I saw where 7.2 was buggy and that going back to 7.1 helped. I am not up to date with ATI but am pretty sure I spotted that elsewhere today.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

Maybe I should go back to the old drivers then. Only thing is it was doing this with 7.1 :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

Was it doing this with drivers prior to 7.1? And also, if that doesn't work, have you ever heard of Omegadrivers? The Omegas are a custom-made driver set developed by a guy named 'Omegadrive' and they have become very popular among ATI graphics card owners. They are based on the Catalyst and have no malware garbage. You can find the site here. There's also an entire guide to tweaking your video card with omega drivers which can be found here. Try the roll back to the old drivers first, and if all else fails, you have this as an option.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

I tried those omega ones, still didn't fix it. I really liked all the special stuff that came with it and how it showed my FPS in the top right hand corner of the screen. Now where could I get old drivers for ATI? I deleted all mine,oops.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

From here. :thumbsup:

Try 6.12 or 6.9 (its confusing lol)

Edited by TheYoda, 24 February 2007 - 11:12 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:39 AM

Arg.... I downloaded 6.9 and it worked for 10 minutes :thumbsup: . Could this be my graphics card failing? I guess I'll go back to integrated graphics *gasps*

Would it help if I tried it on another computer? Also wish I had another graphics card I could try with my drivers. Oh well thanks for the replies still!

I'm going to try a system restore from maybe like a week ago, maybe that will help.

Edited by Sterling14, 25 February 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Well after trying to do a system restore of a week ago (it had an error and didn't) I got these message after restarting my computer.

Posted Image

Am I screwed yet? :thumbsup:

Edited by Sterling14, 25 February 2007 - 10:21 AM.

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

Beleive it or not, if its also your intergrated graphics screwing up, you might have a mobo problem. As you said, try it in another computer and see what the result it. If it works fine in another computer, than you know its (unfortunatley) your mobo.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

My integrated graphics work fine though, well for being integrated graphics.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Check to see that all of your fans are working properly, to include case fans and any internal fans that you might have.

Try playing against the computer (NOT ONLINE!) and see if it happens. You can also pull the ethernet cable from the back of your computer and try that. This is to ensure that you don't have to much running in the back ground, or that you don't have to many programs trying to access the internet when you're playing (which would suck up resources and cause lag).

Have you already gone through and disabled all the unnecessary programs from startup? You can go HERE to see if things need to start when Windows starts. Also, make sure that programs like AOL, Yahoo and Gmail email notifier are off when windows starts, as they'll check the internet looking for updates, emails, etc. etc.

You can also check this post HERE that I made in your other topic about in game play too!. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

When it works it works fine though. It also does this even just by opening the game and letting it sit in the start menu. I guess it might be the fan, but all of them are spinning. Could this be the effect of overclocking it? As soon as this started happening I stopped overclocking it though. I overclocked the core from 450 to 550 and the memory from like 250 to 350. My friends going to bring over a case fan later and I'll see if that helps.

^ Ya same thing as games post, but some people don't look in that forum.

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Well yesterday my graphics card didn't have any problems, but today it did again. After like a half an hour it did this, but this time the screen power button stayed orange and didn't just flash. I could still hear the sound though and could hear my cursor click. Then when I hit Alt+F4 and closed the game my screen returned to normal.

I'm thinking this might be a power supply problem? My power supply is 250 (it expands though, don't know how much more), and my graphics card requires 300 watts. Then when all these problems started happening, was when I added more ram and changed out of of my cd drives with a DVD burner drive. I know these can't be the problem because games run with my integrated graphics.

So to sum it all up I think that my power supply is just being pushed a little too hard, resulting in taking off power to my graphics card? I don't really have another power supply to test it with though. Thanks for reading this post! Any help is very greatly appreciated :thumbsup: .

#14 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Only 250!?! No wonder. I recommend at LEAST 350 to be safe. You could always just try ebay and get a 350 for about 10 bucks and youll be set.

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

ACK! Don't go to cheap on a PSU! You'll regret it in the long run! If you need it to just get you by for a short while, then so be it. If you need a new psu to last you a while, then you'll want to get a good quality one. I've seen a lot of people get a cheap 500w psu and wonder why it won't run their machine, myself included. I bought a cheap 500w psu and a Nvidia 6800gs, and wondered why I had more than enough power and couldn't run the card. I paid like $20-$30 for the psu. I went out and got another psu that cost $80 on sale and it was a name brand, and installed it, turned on my machine and it ran like a top! Think twice before getting a cheap psu.....even a mid level 300w psu would work better than a 400w cheap one :thumbsup:

Something else to consider when buying a psu is the amperage. Get one with at lease 18 amps on the +12v line, and ensure that the line that powers your card doesn't have anything else plugged into it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users