Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Antispyware

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

Microsoft have made a Beta version of their antispyware program available for download. 6+Mb file.

Out of interest I have just downloaded and run it. Despite the fact that I had run full system scans yesterday using Adaware SE and Spybot S&D it managed to find 7 pieces of malware. Most were registry keys left behind when IST and CoolWebSearch were removed some time ago by it also found something called Bridge/WinFavorites in my downloaded program files directory as bridge.inf together with 6 associated registry keys.

I instructed the antispyware program to delete the entries but does anyone know anything about Bridge/Win etc or the reason why our two much respected programs missed it. I have recently converted to Firefox so presumably Bridge could not have installed itself recently and I scan every week with the other progs. There is very little on Google about it.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

With it being from Microsoft, does it perform like a "worthy" Microsoft Creation?
Sid

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

In it's previous incarnation as Giant Anti-Spyware, it performed wonderfully. When Microsoft made the acquisition, they also brought along a couple of the developers (IIRC). Good choice, I think, and a good positive step for Microsoft.

As far as Adaware and Spybot go, they don't get everything all of the time, and they both have different means of scanning for malware. If you look at Eric Howe's comparisons, you will see that Giant outperformed everything. It still didn't get everything though.

It even found a few things on my system that the others had missed.

Cheers!!

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

Are there any conflicts running it with
  • A2
  • Spybot 1.3
  • Ad-Aware SE 1.05
  • Pest Patrol
  • SpyBlaster 3.2
  • SpySweeper
  • CWShredder 2.12
also on the PC?
I wonder. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:09 PM

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

Quick Info
File Name:
MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe

Download Size:
6388 KB

Date Published:
1/6/2005

Version:
Beta

Overview
Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over 50 ways spyware can enter your PC.

The worldwide SpyNet™ community plays a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, which are automatically downloaded to your PC, so you stay up-to-date.

The user must be an administrator to install this application.

Full read\Install:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

#6 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:20 PM

I have Spybot, Adaware and Spywareblaster running but they did not appear to conflict with the Microsoft (Giant) scan at all and I have now added the Microsoft scanner as an additional monitor, so far without any problems.

As the software was until recently a standalone product it is possible that those sort of problems had already been ironed out.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

That's very encouraging news, supermart. :thumbsup:

#8 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

Microsoft Announces Availability of New Solutions to Help Protect Customers Against Spyware and Viruses

Technologies Will Provide Added Safeguards for Windows Users

REDMOND, Wash. -- Jan. 6, 2005 -- As part of its ongoing efforts to address current and emerging security threats to computer users, Microsoft Corp. today announced two new technology solutions that will provide added protection against spyware and malicious software. Customers now can download the first beta version of Microsoft® Windows® AntiSpyware, a solution that will help protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. In addition, the Microsoft Windows malicious software removal tool, which complements traditional antivirus technologies by removing prevalent viruses and worms from a PC, will be available beginning Jan. 11, 2005. These solutions build on the advanced security technologies and proactive protection features of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), which help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks.

"Customers have told us that they need solutions that make it easier to keep computers protected from emerging and ever-changing threats," said Mike Nash, corporate vice president of the Security Business and Technology Unit at Microsoft. "The solutions we're announcing today will offer customers additional resources to help to protect their PCs against spyware and viruses on an ongoing and predictable basis."

More.........

Malicious Software Removal Tool Removes Prevalent Viruses and Worms

In January 2004 Microsoft released a series of removal tools, each of which targeted a single virus or worm and some of its variants. Collectively, these tools augmented existing antivirus protections by scanning more than 55 million PCs worldwide for viruses such as Blaster, MyDoom and Download.Ject. The new Microsoft Windows malicious software removal tool consolidates these existing removal tools into a single solution. The tool will be updated on the second Tuesday of each month as part of Microsoft's monthly software security update process to respond to new viruses, worms and variants.

The Microsoft Windows malicious software removal tool will be offered in the following ways:

As a high-priority update through Windows Update and through Auto Update for the more than 112 million Windows XP-based PCs configured to receive priority updates automatically
Through a simple, online interface.
For larger corporate customers, a download through the Microsoft Download Center
Available at no charge, the Microsoft Windows malicious software removal tool is designed to augment traditional antivirus solutions to provide more complete protection against viruses, worms and variants. As with Microsoft's earlier removal tools, the new solution incorporates the knowledge and technology gained through Microsoft's acquisition of GeCAD Software in 2003.

More....\full read:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...SolutionsPR.asp
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

#9 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:08 AM

I'm running Windows 98se which isn't listed as a supported OS for this Microsoft's anti-spyware program. I think that Giant Antispyware was okay to run on Windows 98, but it has been removed as a download from the sites I checked. (I suppose because it was purchased by Microsoft)

Does anyone know of a site that still has the download that will run on Windows 98 from Giant anti-spyware?

Thanks

Mary

Edited by gaelic123, 08 January 2005 - 01:24 AM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#10 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

gaelic123 The Giant website states:

The beta release, based on technology acquired from GIANT Company Software Inc. in December 2004, is available for Microsoft Windows 2000 and later versions.

So the software does not appear to be suitable for Windows 98se users.

#11 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks,

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#12 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:11 PM

I was amazed that they allowed me to do the process while using firefox as my browser
Sid

#13 Ogerp

Ogerp

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:02 PM

New to all this, but thanks to the tutorials now have a cleaner PC.

My one thought with this antispyware package from M/S, does it find Microsofts own spyware? For instance Alexa (which I was informed was Microsofts).
'The good life is more than material decency, but the good life must be based on material decency'.

Jacob Bronowski.

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:15 PM

Good question. That one motivates me to download the beta.
I tend to watch microsoft in action.
Seems the entire world does.
Then acts.

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

Well I will d/l it and see what happenes wish me luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users