Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh-oh...floppy Disk Error 80

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

So I put my computer in stand-by mode while I went out for a few hours. Come home, wake it up, all seems normal but internet's being stubborn. No big deal, I reboot it.

Nasty surprise waiting for me. At the start-up screen, I get the dreaded floppy disk error (80) with a "PS/2 mouse error" on top of it.

Tried to change the boot order so it would boot from CD first, then HD. No luck. Also, looks like something was updating my BIOS (something along the lines of DMI Pool Data...updated, whatever that means). I then get the "disk boot failure, insert system disk and hit enter."

Needless to say, this is pretty upsetting. I'm using my lady's laptop at the moment. I'm running the start-up test as I type this (the usual memory, etc.) but I don't have high hopes.

I'm guessing it's either a bad floppy drive as the light's not coming on at all (so suddenly?). It could be a bad cable, but that's doubtful since the system is barely a month old. Come to think of it, the floppy drive IS pretty old now as I cannibalized it from my old Dell from over 6 years ago.

The little voice in my head is telling me that maybe...just maybe...my $250 mobo turned Vader on me. Tell me this isn't true. I'm thinking of a quick trip to a computer store and buying a new floppy drive and cable, but want to find out what you guys think first before I do anything.

If there's any other thing I can do, please tell me. Why the hell isn't my computer booting from the HD as I configured it to do so in BIOS?!?
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

Did you try starting your computer without the floppy drive attached? If not, I suggest trying this and this will tell you whether or not the floppy drive is causing the error. Also check to make sure all cables are securely in place, they may of gotten knocked out on accident somehow. Check those two things and reply with the results and we'll take it from there :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Okay...I got a mess on my hands. I went so far as to disconnect ALL IDE cables and my computer at startup still gives me the error. So I go into BIOS and it looks like someone butchered it! I'm thinking "What the #@%%?!?!?"

I loaded the default settings and in the process of trying to start it up again but without all the IDE devices (which is only my FD and 2nd HD anyway). Trying to do it with just the optical drive & SATA HD.

Can somebody hack in and change my BIOS? That's what it's beginning to look like to me. Is this repairable? God, I hope so. I don't want to think my mobo's fried and I have to get a new one.

Right now it appears to be reading something, it reads "Client Mac Addr..." and ends with "DHCP....../" with the slash spinning. Mean anything?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Whew! I think I solved my own problem. I figured since I defaulted the BIOS, I reconnected everything to the way it was before the nightmare started and finally started up normally.

Looks like the culprit was a very messed up BIOS. Thank God my computer didn't get ruined as a result of it. I know how important BIOS can be and how it can turn into a user's worst enemy and actually destroy a computer.

Now, could anyone offer me a theory on why the hell this happened? Is it possible for a hacker to screw up my BIOS? I just now got a download update for MS .Net Framework. Could it be someone gained access through that and corrupted my BIOS?

Here's the important question...how do I exact revenge? I know, I know...not really possible as it's probably some punk on the other side of this globe. Could I track a hacker, though? Why didn't my firewall block it? Agh. I'm just pissed, but relieved it's fine again.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

Sometimes, if the temperture of your computer gets really really high or your BIOS was unstable to begin with, it'll mess things up. I suggest finding your mobo's support site and see if you have the latest firmware for it to possibly prevent this from happening again.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users