Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Error, Memory Cannot Be Read

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfatgoalie

Bigfatgoalie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hi guys,

Lately everytime I close an application i get this message come up, it is in a blue bannered box with a white cross in a red circle on it. The blue banner says (for example (it changes depending on application)):

"MSConfig.exe" and then below this and in the box i get the message:

"The instruction at "0x77f58dc5" referenced memory at "0x000027b7". The memory could not be "read". CLick OK to terminate the program"

This is driving me mad now, although when I click ok I can carry on doing what I am doing, i.e. nothing seems to end or stop (mainly because these errors come up AFTER I have closed something) but they come up pretty much all the time and on nearly every application like "msnmsgr.exe" or "iexplorer.exe" or "taskmgr.exe" and there are loads more.

I think most alarmingly is i can no longer do a windows update because when I download the updates and then start to install(no.1) it comes up with "update.exe application error, etc etc as above" and the first install errors and fails, then they all do it and so i end up with no windows update at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hmm. This might be the result of an infection. For now try this. Note: You might want to download the programs using a different computer, save them to a disk or flash drive, and install them on the infected computer from there. Also, you might have better success if you physically disconnected the computer from the internet.

AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
Download AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 (formerly Edwido) found here: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Directions for use in both normal and safe modes are provided here by our own quietman7:
http://www.castlecops.com/t137442-CCSP_Ewi...structions.html
You will also find the directions to disable the real-time scanning which I would advise doing right away as it is only available for the paid version which the free version is like for the first 30 days. I would suggest doing the scan in safe mode after setting up the proper scanning selections.
---
Here is a brief summary for installation and set-up. If scanning in safe-mode, set-up in Normal mode first, then reboot into safe-mode:
Double click the avg-setup file to begin installation and follow the prompts.
When the program has been installed, and you click the Finish button, AVG A-S will open.

Updating AVG Anti-Spyware:

* By default AVG A-S is configured to update automatically so, if you have an active internet connection, it should do so following installation. If you are unsure whether or not it has done so, do the following: Click the Update icon at the top and under "Manual Update" - click the Start update button.
* Either AVG A-S will update or inform you that no update was available.

Disabling the Resident Shield:
* By default the Resident Shield is active but as it may interfere with the process of cleaning your PC, it will need to be disabled.
(When the PC has been cleaned you can activate the shield again, if you wish.)
* Click the Shield icon at the top and under "Resident shield is..." - click active.
* This should now change to inactive.

Changing Recommended Actions
* Click the Scanner icon at the top and then click the Settings Tab.
* Under "How to act?" click Recommended actions and select "Quarantine" from the menu.

And for scanning:
Ensure that ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders are closed and then run AVG A-S.

* If it is not already selected, click the Scanner icon at the top and then select the Scan Tab.
* Click "Complete System Scan"
* While the scan is in progress the PC should be left otherwise idle.
* When the scan has completed, any threats that AVG A-S has detected will be displayed.
* Click the Apply all actions button at the bottom.
* When AVG A-S has finished, it will display the message "All actions have been applied".

Saving a report:
* Click the Save Report button at the bottom left and the "Reports" window will open.
* The content of the scan report will be displayed in the right hand pane and a copy will be automatically saved as Report-Scan-date-time.txt into the C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports folder.

Look through it to see what it found or didn't find.

Close AVG Anti-Spyware.

+++++++++++++++++++
Next:
Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
o Close browsers before scanning
o Scan for tracking cookies
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).

You can now see what it found or didn't find.

Click close and close again to exit the program.
+++++++++++++

Please post back with summaries of the scans. For example: nothing found, just found tracking cookies, found trojan --> provide name etc. Also let us know if the computer didn't let you install them.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 dolphins3

dolphins3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

I am having the same problems to when I close my window and I get the CwndSessionMonitor:iexplore.exe Application Error.

The instruction at "0x62304390" referenced memory at "0x62304390". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

I have done what you have suggested Orange Blossom, and it didn't work.

I was able to download everything.

AVG Anti-Spyware found:
Adware.Comet (twice)
Adware.Spyinator
Adware.Webrebates
Adware.Adlogix
Adware.Delfin
Trojan.Kolweb.d

SuperAntispyware found:
Adware.Clearsearch
Adware.TrackingCookie
Adware.WildMedia/Winfetcher
Trojan.Downloader-YAY
Trojan.Zenosearch

But after doing all these I found that SuperAntispyware had a virus. My Norton found a Trojan.Zonebac in SuperAntispyware.

So now I feel I am back to square one.

Any other ideas?????

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Post a HiJackThis log to ensure that the infection has been completely cleaned off of your system. You can post it here (there's directions there also): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

After the log is certified clean - then we can clean up any software problems caused by the infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

But after doing all these I found that SuperAntispyware had a virus. My Norton found a Trojan.Zonebac in SuperAntispyware.

This might be a false positive, meaning that Norton flagged a file in SAS's spyware database - what the program uses to check for infections.
----------
To add to and clarify what usasma said in the previous post if you have not already posted an HJT log:

I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Bigfatgoalie

Bigfatgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi guys,

I have solved the problem now, it was a virus, it got picked up in AVG Anti-spyware, i couldnt remove it at first so had to use the Avenger, but its gone now and the errors have stopped.

Thanks a bunch for the help though, much appreciated

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users