Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Calendar.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

Hi there, I'm new to web site design, and I mean NEW. I have a basic understanding, of html 4.01, XHTML, and CSS. Granted I'm still in the learning Phases here.

I would like to put a calendar on my site, but I'm not certain how to approach it. I could just make a table with all of the Date and events written in, but then I'd have to change that every month, which isn't too bad, and I'd also have to write the table over and over again. No Good!

Is it possible to code up and efficient Calendar in a scritping language like, Java,Perl, or PHP, that would update itself consistently, and be completely contained on one page.

Also, I'd like to have some sort of navigation buttons, so that users could go back and forth from month to month.

Any Ideas Here?

Thanks in Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

No sense reinventing the wheel.

http://www.bigwebmaster.com/JavaScript/Scr...rams/Calendars/

By the way, Javascript is a scripting language, Java is not. In spite of the fact that they both have 'Java' in their name, they have nothing to do with each other.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

Does anybody do the work anymore?

I'm not complaining mind you. But it would be nice to have a programmers point of view, Make your own custom calendar, or borrow a premade?

that's more of a phylisophical ranting there.

thanks for the help

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Speaking as a programmer, I measure my progress (and my paycheck) by the amount of product I complete. If I can use someone else's code, then I will do it, every time. It makes no sense at all to waste time when the code you need already exists. Good programmers know when to utilize existing code when possible.

Besides, If I had taken the time to give you the code, are you telling me that you wouldn't have used it? And I have to mention that I find it a tad ironic that the one asking for coding help is commenting about nobody doing the work. I learned most of what I know by going to the API's and looking at other people's code.

Glad I could be of help.

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

guess i should try thinking inside the box more huh?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

I don't know if I would consider it thinking inside the box. Reusing code, as long as you understand it, is industry standard. Things get to be standards because they make sense. Save your coding skills to those procedures or functions nobody else has ever done before.

YouTube didn't make a name for itself by creating a proprietary video format. They took existing technology and used it in a way nobody had thought of. Jonas Salk did not re-invent microbiology; he used existing knowledge and used it in a different way. So speaking philosophically, society can not advance if it keeps covering the same old ground. :thumbsup:

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Good to know you have a point of view behind the frustration., I only thought that since I'm a new guy in terms of any type of programming really, that maybe I should do some hard coding so that i better understand what's actually going on. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, more like I want to better understand it, and all that comes after it.

I wasn't trying to hark on your personal practices.

good thing we can leave the Orwellian references out of this conv.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users