Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Install Vista?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:57 AM

Hi All :huh:

I'm sure a lot of you out there may "want" to install Vista but are afraid to because they aren't sure if their drivers will work or not. Even more, you may be frustrated surfing the net for compatible Vista drivers.

Take a look here:
http://www.drivershq.com/

I installed this and what a program! It finds all applicable drivers on your comp for you and allows you to download them to a specific folder. The great thing about it is that it gets the drivers, right off the manufacturer's website :huh:

If you plan to stick with XP, use this utility to update your XP drivers to their latest versions. Or, use the Vista Upgrade Advisor wizard to see if your machine can run with Vista and if so, it will automatically find Vista drivers for you.

The only con is that to dowload any of the drivers you need to pay $29.95.....but it's only one time. However, you can still download the program and try it out by scanning your computer and see what comes up.

Happy driver hunting. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hi I_am_CanadianEh?.
Don't take this the wrong way but no one should pay for drivers and I personally don't trust 3rd party software to do it. Seen many-a-problem with that stuff. :huh:
A very good site to get the latest drivers for vista is here.

Edited by HitSquad, 24 February 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#3 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

$30 for your drivers seems a little high. You can get them free off the manufacturer's websites usually.
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:39 AM

I believe that the point here is that you can scan for free - then look for them on your own.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

Exactly USASMA! :huh:

You can use this program to scan. When you get the results, click on the "i" logo for more information on the driver you are interested in. This will bring you to another page. You can then click on the "Manufacturer" link to take you to the page where the updated driver is located.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Just to add a bit of "breadth" to this, I posted this link for a similar program in another thread: http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/index.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the post, USASMA. :huh:

Actually, I finally finished getting all Vista drivers for my system....except my Modem. Since it's a dial-up modem and only used in the rare case my DSL goes on the fritz, it's not critical.

However, if anyone knows where I can get a Vista driver for the Conexant D850 56k v.9x DFVc Modem it would be very much appreciated. :huh: I don't think there is one, yet.

Zonealarm Pro - Still no Vista versions for it?? WTF? :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

Try running the XP driver in compatibility mode (and as an Administrator).

No ZAPro for Vista? IMO that's a good thing. ZA has caused too many problems for me recently - I'm starting to favor the Windows Firewall, but still need some more experience with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users