Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus 1612....bad Block?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 i82much

i82much

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

I just installed a asus drw1612 dvd burner with the jumper in the default positio (couldnt find any labels,markings or info about the jumpers).
When trying to acess the drive my computer freezes and have to use task manger to get out of it.
I checked the event viewer and was told that "device cdrom0 had a bad block", and "driver detected a controller error on device cdrom0"
I checked the device manager and saw no problems there
Another forum suggested that I check the jumper setting.
Problem is the web site as no info about jumper settings, nothing in the manual (what a joke) and no markings on the case.
Any ideas of where to find the info?
Thanks

Edited by i82much, 24 February 2007 - 09:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hi i82much, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
Most drives ship with the jumper in the cs (cable select) position.
Looking at the back of the drive, from right to left, 1 is usually master, 2 is usually slave and 3 is usually cable select. Don't worry about 4 or 5 if applicable.
Is this drive on it's own cable or sharing with another drive?.
Is it identified in the bios correctly and set accordingly?

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

If you are not sure, every one of the last several hundred drives that I have installed have the drive setting chart stamped in the metal on the drive
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users