Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About My Anti-virus And Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dellingsdawn

dellingsdawn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

Though my ISP I subscribe to McAfee Scurity Center. I use MaAFee's Perosnal Firewall and VirusScan. One of my friends thinks I am mad to do so because he thinks a freeware anit-virus program and freeware firewall would do a good enough job for me. Is this so?

McAfee Security Center didn't stop my computer from being flooded with spyware but I think this is because my intellectual disabled son probably granted the spyware program access to my computer when McAfee asked if access should be granted.

Edited by dellingsdawn, 24 February 2007 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

There are several very good, free Anti-virus and firewalls available that will be every bit as effective as is McAfeeSC:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I am not very partial to all-in-one security services for several reasons. First, the interface and programmes are usually bloated. Second, because the various parts are often pasted together by buying out other companies, the modules are often uneven in quality.
Spyware protection almost requires using several applications, because each company has slightly different critieria that it looks for when it scans your computer's hard drive.

Lastly, you are correct to assume that most malware requires user action to get into a computer. Encourage your son to always research any application (or source) before trusting it to be malware-free, or to discuss the download with you before he presses the magic button. Some versions of Windows allow different levels by user; consider changing his status.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users