Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 holden583

holden583

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:30 AM

I HOPE I'M DOING THIS CORRECTLY - PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, I HAVE A DOWNLOAD COMING INTO MY MACHINE VIA AN EXTERNAL MODEM, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO STOP IT...OR WHAT THE HECK IT IS...I HAVE USED ADAWARE BY LAVASOFT TO SCAN IT AND HAVE FOUND 3 CRITICAL PROBLEMS, 3 TRACKING THINGS....WHICH I THEN REMOVE, THEN I USE ANOTHER PROGRAM CALLED CLEANUP, WHICH REMOVES THE UNKNOWN DOWNLOAD, THEN AS SOON AS I GO ONLINE THIS THING, STARTS DOWNLOADING AGAIN, THE REASON I KNOW IT'S COMING IN, IS JUST THE INCREASED ACTIVITY ON THE MODEM..I HAVE WINDOWS XP HOME SP2 - IS THERE A WAY TO INDENTIFY UNKNOWN DOWNLOADS, I GET NOTIFIED OF UPDATES BY MICROSOFT, BUT THIS DUDE IS AN UNKNOWN FACTOR, WHICH MAKES ME VERY UNEASY, I ALSO HAVE A PROGRAM FOR VIRAL INFECTIONS, WHICH IS CONTINUALLY SCANNING MY MACHINE, AT CLEANUP THE FILES UNKNOWN ARE IN THE VICINITY OF ABOUT APPROX 30 MEGABYTES.
BOY! I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ON HOW YOU GET TO KNOW WHAT IS COMING IN, IF NOT AN UPDATE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:36 AM

Posted Image to BC

What you can do is the following :

1) Allow the download
2) After it ended rightclick the file and go to propperties
DO NOT DOUBLE KLICK
Post what you see under propperties

Edited by fozzie, 24 February 2007 - 07:37 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

Check the log---if it has them--- in your firewall;This should tell you at least what application is attempting to download the file.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users