Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Amazing Disappearing Sound.. (internet Applications)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 howlymowly

howlymowly

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

Just today, my sound seems to have gone out online. I don't remember doing anything today that would have caused this, but yesterday, I installed a new webcam so my son could talk to his grandparents online. Unfortunately, today, I couldn't get any sound.

I'm currently using Firefox as my browser, but just tonight downloaded and reinstalled explorer (old version wasnt' working), and it doesn't work on there either.

I know it's not just my sound in general because I can still play songs on itunes without a problem, and when using gmail chat, I still get the notification "ping" if I'm on a different page when a message is received. Other than that I seem to get no sound online. When using my webcam to speak with a friend, she was able to hear me speaking (i guess my mic is working) but I could not hear her. Additionally, when I go to myspace, I am no longer able to hear the songs on any profiles I click to view. It's not EVERYWHERE online though because i'm able to play/hear movie trailers on the apple website.

I first tried restarting firefox, didn't work. Then I tried restarting the comp.. didn't work. Tried reinstalling my codecs, didnt' work.

At this point, I have no clue what the problem is, and why it's only online. Since it's both firefox and explorer, I'm assuming it's a codec problem, but I can't figure out what it would be.. perhaps a problem with quicktime? maybe I should reinstall it as well? Of course, it works fine on apple's movie trailer site.

Another site that I tried, that I have successfully had sound on before (if you want a laugh), is http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/sexy.swf. This one (in addition to myspace profiles) was a good test for me, since I know what the sound is supposed to be.

If anyone has any ideas, please help! I will be very grateful!

Thanks in advance for your time and any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 howlymowly

howlymowly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:38 AM

by the way, the codec pack I re-installed is the K-lite mega codec pack.. though I haven't installed the Quicktime alternative yet because I'm too lazy to uninstall and reinstall my itunes and quicktime right now for it to work properly.

#3 howlymowly

howlymowly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:45 AM

Nevermind. I just fiddle around a bit more. Somehow a silly, insignificant audio option was altered... I guess not so insignificant, but either way, a little more digging and I found it in the control panel audio devices and it's working on the one website at least.. so hopefully it will with the webcam now too. Thanks anyway.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

Thansk for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users