Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajb2000

ajb2000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post so please forgive if its a little long winded. My problem is two fold. My wife has a HPnx 9105 laptop which she uses for work and at home. We have a linksys WAG354G router at home, and a 2WIRE323 at the office/shop. These are recent developments, so I want to be able to make the facility secure, when Tina logs on. Any advice on how to do this would be gratefully received. {problem 1}

Problem 2: When tina fires up the laptop at work, it recognises the router straight away and allows her to connect to her business broadband connection without any issues. When she comes home and attempts to log on, the computer no longer recognises the Linksys and we have to instruct the computer to allow Windows to handle the connection settings before we can succesfully connect. We are using btconnect business broadband in the shop, and btinternet broadband at home, If any body recognises were my problem may lye, I should be grateful for any feedback.

Regards,

Allan.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 February 2007 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

Problem 1
WEP Encryption
WPA Wireless Encryption

Problem 2
What you could try is to connect the laptop via an UTP cable to router to see whether it is working or not. Does this makes any sence to you?

Here is the support page for your router

#3 ajb2000

ajb2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Fozzie,

That did the trick. Home wireless network appears to be secure,

Many thanks again,