Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Computer Troubles (xp) Hp 2005 Modem Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fr8train

fr8train

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Ok, I'll start off by saying that I've read the forum rules and as a new member please don't get upset with me if I make some sort of mistake.

Anyhow my main reason for coming here is my computer problem, obviously. I bought a used computer on ebay from a liquidator or something like that. The computer is a hp pavilion model a1104x with 200gb and a 3.2ghz processor. I bought the computer for $250 with shipping, it came in 'ok' shape, I had to clean it up a little but thats allright. Anyhow it came with windows already installed on it, with someone elses photos, music, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't need. But at the same time it didn't bother me, with 200gb's I had more than I needed and the computer ran fine. I only really wanted it for the internet and downloading music. So life goes on and everything is fine until one unfortunate day I get a virus thats called trojan.pea...? and everything stopped working. So I thought ok, this sucks, what can I do? With my 'very mild' computer knowledge I spent a few hours doing what ever it was I was doing. And what ever it was it didn't work, so I thought the easiest thing to do would be to delete the current windows and re-install the windows again. Its not like I had any programs or files that I would lose since I only use my computer for the internet and music (which is all on cds and my mp3 player anyway.) So I put the windows disk in, restarted my computer, deleted my old windows and re-installed windows.

Now, here is my big problem. The windows that came on my used hp when I got it were windows xp version 2005 (I think). And the version of windows I re-installed was windows xp version 2002. So now my computer for some strange reason does not recognize my sound card and my modem (and who knows what else). When I went to the help center on my windows it told my to go to control panel and select check weather my modem and sound card are enabled, and there not even listed were the program said they should be. Its like the computer didn't have a modem. I don't know what do now, as I am on a limited budget (being 17 and not having a yob). That computer, to me anyway, cost alot of money and the new microsoft disk is like $100, which is insane since I barely have enough money for gas and insurance for my car. Anyhow maybe someone can make sense of what I've wrote and help me. I would really apriceiate it!

Things I've tryed...
*Calling HP's award winning support, which after waiting for over 45 minutes on hold got me to talk to some guy in india who barely spoke english. Which he only told me that if I want his help, I need to pay like $50 for customer support. All he kept doing is asking for my credit card. Thanks alot hp.

*Running through my computers help center thing like 8 times getting no results.

*Posting this on this message board. HELP ME PLEASE. And thanks in advance///
(please try to ignore any typos, I did my best)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

what you need to do is go to HP.com and click the Support and Downloads button. Type in the name and model # (IE: PAvillion 500). This should pop up the drivers you need (IE: Modem and Sound). Once you download them, some may have an install program, or you can right click on my computer, go to properties, click the "Hardware" tab, then click device manager. right click on the hardware with the warning signs and select "Update/Reinstall driver". tell it to look for the drivers (Specify a location) and select where you unzipped them to. Should solve your problem

Edited by gavinseabrook, 24 February 2007 - 03:40 AM.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

I would recommend you order a set of Recovery CDs.
Read this first. Before ordering your Recovery Disc Set

Here is where you can obtain the Recovery CD Set. Unless thing have changed since the last time I order a Set it should be about $20.

I believe since this is a used computer your best bet is a clean install.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users