Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Windows Xp To Show Hidden System Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diggledoogeydo

diggledoogeydo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

I know the procedure how to get XP to reveal hidden files via folder options, but BOTH buttons stay highlighted (the “do not show” button AND “show hidden files” button stay on same time) after applying changes-go back and no changes made to attributes. Microsoft KB has no solution. Unable to find any forum that shows solution. MacAfee scan shows no problems, No adaware, no signs of virus/Trojans no other odd system behavior-just cant view any hidden or system files. Im running Serv Pack 2 w/all updates.

Additional Details
no System Policies established. I think something had corrupted the system registry but I do not know what key enables hidden files. Open for suggestions!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image to BC diggledoogeydo.
Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

Try this
If that doesn't worktry to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP pro disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

#3 diggledoogeydo

diggledoogeydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

Thanks fozzie for the welcome and your suggest to run SFC. Ive already run SFC but did not get any screen results (other than the progress indicator). Took about 25 minutes so I am assuming it processed all the system files and did not flag any as being bad. I think I will run it again and pay more attention to it this time. Im also looking for registry analysers that may pick up on something that perhaps SFC may not be able to diagnose.

Again I appreciate your help!!

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

Did you try the fix I gave you ? http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/savesettings.reg and I found another one :
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...hiddenfiles.vbs

#5 diggledoogeydo

diggledoogeydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

savesettings.reg did not change the settings

but the Visual Basic Script DID !!

I can now view everything system /Hidden !!
Most excellent!

I seem to have a bit of performance gain on the machine as well. I dont know if its coincidence but its more responsive at the moment.

I am very impressed! I really did not want to reinstall my OS over this -especially when even that may have not purged the registry!!

A Huge Thank you for this!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users