Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar And Task Manager Problems And More!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seryth

Seryth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

My dad decided to bring his friend's machine to take a look at. It's running Windows XP Professional and this thing has too many problems and I have no idea where to begin or a clue on how to fix it.

For starters, there is no Start Button on the taskbar but if I hit the windows key it'll show the start menu minus icons and at the very top of the screen.

Attempting to load the Task Manager does nothing. I can click on the task manager button and it'll just go back to the desktop without anything happening.

I attempted to start up their antivirus security only that won't work either. I immediately get a "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." error message. This occurs for every program I try to launch including any new programs I try to install.

I'm unable to load anything like Services or Event Viewer since I just get another error message reading "MMC failed to initialize because it was installed incorrectly or because a portion of the registry has become corrupted. Make sure the file Mmcndmgr.dll is registered by running "regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\mmcndmgr.dll".

I tried to boot into safe mode but that will hang at MUP.sys and never boot.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I need all the help I can get. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image to BC :thumbsup: You got a few problems on your hand I see. Do you have a XP prof disc available?If so try to do a repair with sfc/scannow and have your XP pro disc ready since it will need to copy those files from the disc. Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

If that doesn't work :

Here is the download for this file.
Put in in C:\WINDOWS\system32. If you find the same file overthere rename that file to mmcdnmgr.old and put the freshly downloaded file there. After that go to START RUN and type regservr32 mmcndmgr.dll ( mind the bracket) and try to reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users