Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Needed To Create An Interactive Cd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Hello Boarders! Newbie here, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm hoping someone out there is able to help me. As the title says I'm trying to find some software that would enable me to create an Interactive CD , at this stage I'd like for the software to allow me to put the following onto a CD:
  • Background Audio
  • Images
  • Clickable Links
  • Searchable Database (Fully Self Contained)
Navigable by use of Mouse and Keyboard. I don't know if there is such a thing out there or whether anyone has experience with something that would enable me to create the above, any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Pensive By Nature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:32 AM

Was this ever solved? I would say Microsft's Powerpoint comes close?

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:13 AM

TurboDemo will do it. It's not FREE. You can get it at:
http://www.turbodemo.com

I use it all the time, and it'll do exactly that.

A FREE program called Wink might be able to it too, but I never explored it that way. You can get Wink at:
http://www.debugmode.com

#4 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

Hey Fozzie,

Thanks for your reply, I did consider using Powerpoint but couldn't get around the whole "slide" feel it has to it, plus the database side of things would be difficult to incorporate. But thanks for your suggestion!

Hey Walkman,

I've not heard of either of the 2 suggestions you made, so thanks for taking the time to reply! Since my original post, I did some searching of my own online and came across Indigo Rose:

http://www.indigorose.com/site/index.php

It looks pretty cool but as with everything I'm not wanting to fork out money on software I've not used before only to find it's not fit for purpose. I went through a number of the tutorials online and the more I think about it - it might be something I can shortlist.

So I guess my follow-up question is - Has anyone used this and what comments do they have about it?

Thanks again.
Pensive By Nature

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

What will you be searching for in the 'self contained' database?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

Hey FireKracker,

Just basic details that I'll be pulling together that has been cross referenced viewable / searchable by different means.
Pensive By Nature

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

Erm, couldn't you have a PowerPoint frontend, with a database created in Access linked to the PowerPoint through a hyperlink e.g clicking on the link would open the self contained access database?
Posted Image

#8 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:47 AM

How would I get away from the "slideshow" feel of using Powerpoint? I don't want for it to be like a slideshow with links in it.

I created a Family Tree a few years ago where each individual was a Link and you could navigate up and down the family by clicking people (each slide only contained 2 generations - by choice)!

The problem with it was if you clicked space by accident it would throw you off. I want to get away from this. Any suggestions?
Pensive By Nature

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

The 'slideshow' effect dedpends on how you design the PPoint. If you design it in a sequential way then it will appear to be a slideshow, but if you think about the 'user interface' and how it will operate, then it shouldn't.

Hope that helps
Posted Image

#10 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hey FireKracker, I appreciate you taking the time to converse with me on this topic. I'd like to think I'm an experienced user of Powerpoint but I just can't get hy head around what you're saying is possible through that software. Would it be possible for You and I to have a 1-2-1 to help me understand or see an example of what it is you're describing - my one reservation is as you know the whole slideshow feel that I typically associate with Powerpoint. If there is another way then please.... show me!
Pensive By Nature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users