Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Accounts Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pbmac

pbmac

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hi,
I've recently be enlightened that using a Limited Account while connected to the internet, offers some more security than as an Administrator.
Presently I have a Guest account (turned off), a General account (Limited account) and myself as an Administrator account. Also, in Safe Mode is the original Admin account.
My first question is about how to set up and use the Limited account, say for the family to use for everyday internet use. I can set the account up, actually already have one, but what should I have on it? Or, is everything there from the Admin account? Yesterday I switched from the Admin account to the Limited user one, and all of a sudden AVG started to install itself, and get updates. Not that I mind, but I wasn't expecting that. I've read a lot on MS's site about User Accounts but I'm still alittle lost. Also, after switching back to the Adman account, my hard drive was working like mad. When I switched back to the Limited account, and clicked on the AVG icon, it showed that AVG was doing a complete system scan, all of the same files it just did earlier in the day on the Adman account. Is this the way things work?
One more question (for now) is, what IS the difference ( besides not being able to change the date and time) between an Adman account and a Limited user account?
I looked for a tutorial on this here, plus on MS's site. Also did a search here, but no one appears to be as lost as me. :thumbsup:
Any advice will be appreciated, and thanks for your time.
pbmac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

The Limited account has limited access to system files. The reason to use it is so that programs can't install themselves in the system files areas.

To install programs as a Limited user, you'll right click on the installer and select "Run as". Then you'll get a window that asks for the Administrator credentials before it'll allow the program to install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

As you were saying with the AVG, when you installed it on the Admin account, most times one of the option will be to install for just this user, or for all users on your computer. Most Anti-virus and anti-malware programs do this automatically. The reason it ran the scan is because a seperate account is like another computer to non-native applications. The AVG isn't aware that it's the same computer so it treats it as a different one, hence why it scanned it again. If there is an application you wish to install on the Limited account, your best bet would be to intall it on the Admin account and choose the option for it to be usuable by everyone on your computer and it'll all be great. You can do what usasma suggested, but I find the other way easier. It's your choice though. And also, if your family is using the limited account and your not using the Admin account, I suggest logging of the Admin account so you save RAM because you'll have 2 of the same application running at once and it'll slow down your computer greatly.

Edited by TheYoda, 24 February 2007 - 11:42 AM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users